North Texas Outdoors Message Board › New Meetup: Canoe/Kayak the Brazos River

New Meetup: Canoe/Kayak the Brazos River

TANR
HikeNazi
Lewisville, TX
Announcing a new Meetup for North Texas Outdoors!

What: Canoe/Kayak the Brazos River

When: Saturday, August 7, 2010 8:00 AM

Where: Rochelle's Canoe Rental
Farm Rd 4 at Brazos River
Graford, TX 76449

What: Overnight paddle trip (20 miles)

When: August 7-8th (Sat-Sun)

Where: Brazos River, put-in at Hwy. 16 near Possum Kingdom Lake, take-out at Hwy. 4

More Info: There are canoe rental and shuttle fees if you do not have your own boat. You will need to arrange your own canoe/kayak rental at one of several places,

1. Rochelles Canoe Rental- If you rent here you do not have to transport the boat to the put in. See the website for prices.
2. REI- If you rent here, you must transport the boat to Rochelles or the put-in on your own.
3. High Trails Canoe- If you rent here, you must transport the boat to Rochelles or the put-in on your own.

Level of Difficulty: This trip is suitable for anyone who has enough canoeing experience to handle her/his boat on a potentially windy river. Participants must be in good health and possess enough stamina to paddle 12 to 15 miles in hot, windy conditions. There are a few areas around curves in the river where the water may be considered class I rapids. Dead trees that have embedded themselves in the river bottom create the greatest hazard. These could easily pin a canoe. Even a minor upset can become a fatal accident if you are trapped between your boat and a tree, or you get your foot trapped in a submerged tree branch and are pushed over by the current. Because the river is wide and open, strong upstream wind can make paddling difficult for short stretches. Trip participants must be able to control their boat sufficiently well to avoid obstacles and make headway in head winds, quartering winds and high waves. As with any other river adventure, you may encounter poisonous snakes, stinging insects, poison ivy, broken glass, old fish hooks, slippery mud, etc.

Rules:
1. Personal Floatation Devices (PFD) should be worn at all times when on the water.
2. Do not litter. Take a garbage bag to place all of your trash into. Please follow Leave No Trace ethics.
3. Do not take glass containers on the trip.
4. Do not drink ethanol/alcohol while paddling on the river.
5. Pets must be approved by the host.
6. Obtaining and carrying equipment, including your canoe, PFD, paddles, tent, sleeping bag, clothing, food and personal items are totally your responsibility.

Hey Guys, I have copied John's original post for his May trip. I am hosting and John is my resident Kayak expert & is joining us on the trip.

RSVP to this Meetup:
http://www.meetup.com...­