Feedback from the last meetup suggested we try to run an 'Agile' project to give a flavour of how software is developed in an iterative, flexible & agile environment.
So this is the current thinking:
- Over the next couple of meetups, we are going run an agile development dojo
- The dojo will demonstrate the lifecycle of a feature, from driving out requirements through to coding, testing & sign off of the feature thus delivering value
- The first meetup will largely be setup but we should aim to deliver a feature / some value by the end of the session
- In the following meetups we should look to add more features & expand on the value we have already delivered.
- The plan is to develop using Ruby on Rails
- Al Grimes is kindly offering to talk us through Ruby on Rails
- We'll be committing code to a Github repo - we'll be able to access the code from home
- We could use some kind of Wiki to hold the requirements & notes of the features which would enable us to work on them between meetups if we need to
What will be expected of you
- You will be expected to participate!
- You will be playing the different roles of a development team
- You will questioning requirements
- You will be cutting code
- You will be testing code, both manual & automation
So now we need an idea of what to develop - anybody have any ideas? We could have an end goal of creating an open source application available for anyone to use. Or we could just develop mini test applications. The only constraints are our imagination!
There are several coding dojo examples we could use as a basis for the project - Duncan will get hold of some & bring them to the meetup, just in case...
Want to know more? Have any questions? Please feel free to get in touch with Duncan, Martin, Stu or Al (for anything Ruby related!)
Directions - Driving (car park opposite pub, under flyover)
From North Liverpool (Starts at Kirkdale)
From South Liverpool (Starts at Cressington)
From M62 (starts at Warrington)
From Wirral via Queensway tunnel (starts at Birkenhead)
From Wirral via Kingsway tunnel (starts at Weatherhead)
Directions - Walking
From Lime Street (8 mins)
From Moorfields (5 mins)
From James Street (11 mins)