Novel Ideas Message Board › Books for the group April 2014 and on

Books for the group April 2014 and on

Closed to new replies

Damon
YellowJacket
Group Organizer
The Colony, TX
Post #: 874
If you are interested in having a book voted on for the next set of meetups, please add a post to this thread. These books will be for meetups starting in April 2014.
A former member
Post #: 2
Okay, I'll be the first! I could go on and on with suggestions, but I'll restrict myself to five right now:

Middlemarch by George Eliot
Everything Is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer
Veronica by Nicholas Christopher
North River by Pete Hamill (haven't read yet)
The Post-Birthday World by Lionel Shriver (haven't read yet)

The top three are some of my favorite books, and the bottom two are on my not-read shelf, patiently waiting to be read.
Damon
YellowJacket
Group Organizer
The Colony, TX
Post #: 932
"Anthem" by Ayn Rand

Anthem has long been hailed as one of Ayn Rand's classic novels, and a clear predecessor to her later masterpieces, The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged. In Anthem, Rand examines a frightening future in which individuals have no name, no independence, and no values. Equality 7-2521 lives in the dark ages of the future where all decisions are made by committee, all people live in collectives, and all traces of individualism have been wiped out. Despite such a restrictive environment, the spark of individual thought and freedom still burns in him--a passion which he has been taught to call sinful. In a purely egalitarian world, Equality 7-2521 dares to stand apart from the herd--to think and choose for himself, to discover electricity, and to love the woman of his choice. Now he has been marked for death for committing the ultimate sin. In a world where the great "we" reign supreme, he has rediscovered the lost and holy word--"I."
Damon
YellowJacket
Group Organizer
The Colony, TX
Post #: 971
"Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn

On the day of their fifth wedding anniversary, Nick's wife Amy disappears. There are signs of struggle in the house and Nick quickly becomes the prime suspect. It doesn't help that Nick hasn't been completely honest with the police and, as Amy's case drags out for weeks, more and more vilifying evidence appears against him. Nick, however, maintains his innocence. Told from alternating points of view between Nick and Amy, Gillian Flynn creates an untrustworthy world that changes chapter-to-chapter. Calling Gone Girl a psychological thriller is an understatement. As revelation after revelation unfolds, it becomes clear that the truth does not exist in the middle of Nick and Amy's points of view; in fact, the truth is far more dark, more twisted, and more creepy than you can imagine. Gone Girl is masterfully plotted from start to finish and the suspense doesn't waver for one page. It's one of those books you will feel the need to discuss immediately after finishing because the ending doesn't just come; it punches you in the gut. --
Damon
YellowJacket
Group Organizer
The Colony, TX
Post #: 972
"We" by Yevgeny Zamyatin

This novel takes place in the future, where the One State is ruled by the great Benefactor, and separated from the rest of the world by a Great Wall, that doesn't allow the outside world to "contaminate" it. The citizens of the One State aren't persons but merely numbers. They have almost no privacy, due to the fact that most things are made of a material similar to glass but much more resistant. In any case that isn't a problem, because as everybody does the same things at the same time, nobody has much to hide.
Damon
YellowJacket
Group Organizer
The Colony, TX
Post #: 985
"Sh*t My Dad Says" by Justin Halpern
Ron
user 15891141
Arlington, TX
Post #: 92
As usual I haven't actually read any of these books.

• Trinity by Leon Uris. A Romeo and Juliet story set in Ireland during the 19th century, between the famines and the 20th century Troubles. Uris is a highly respected author known for his thorough historical research.

• The Russia House by John LeCarre. LeCarre writes books about spycraft, but he's far more thorough and technical about it than Ian Fleming. He also wrote Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy. The Russia House is about the relationship between Moscow and British Intelligence during glasnost and perestroika.

• Don't Stop the Carnival by Herman Wouk. It's a book about a man with a midlife crisis who buys a tropical hotel, and then suddenly has to deal with owning a tropical hotel. It's supposed to be really funny.

• Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco. This is a very eclectic conspiracy book, sort of a better written version of The DaVinci Code, with maybe a little bit of House of Leaves mixed in. It's complex and interesting and maybe a little crazy.

• A Scanner Darkly by Philip K. Dick. If you remember back to The Man In The High Tower, Dick focuses on reality and how we perceive what is real and alive. He's the same guy who wrote the books Bladerunner, Total Recall, and Minority Report were based on. There's also been a Scanner Darkly movie starring Keanu Reeves. If you like mindfuck books, you'll like this.

• The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. This is supposed to be a really cute book about young love in a cancer support group. I don't know much about it but it's supposedly one of those books that sticks with people long after they're done reading it.

• The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. You know what The Kite Runner is unless you've been living in a cave for the last decade. If you've been living in a cave for the last decade, the book basically follows a boy growing up in post-Soviet Afghanistan. It's highly regarded, and supposed to be great for book clubs. This club did it in 2006, but I think it's pretty safe to bring it back up.

• Trainspotting­ by Irving Welsh. This book's about heroin addiction, and addictive behavior in general, told in a series of vignettes. It's extremely nihilistic and punk. The book's well-written and deserves a chance, but if you're the type of reader who judges a book by its characters, this one might be problematic.

• Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. Cormac McCarthy's books are bleak, and the books I've read of his left me in a funk for days, but in a good way. He really gets into the animalistic side of human nature, and really puts his characters through hell. Blood Meridian follows an Indian hunter through the west during the early 19th century, during the Mexican-American war.

• The Better Angels of Our Nature: Why Violence Has Declined by Steven Pinker. I forgot to list a non-fiction book, so I thought I'd add one more. In The Better Angels Pinker describes the massive downturn in violence worldwide since World War Two, and carefully teases out the causes in circumstances that have led to this downturn.

Amber
user 10476691
Keller, TX
Post #: 90
Fight Club by chuck Palahniuk but I'm not sure how we're going to talk about it.
cisco
user 66501162
Fort Worth, TX
Post #: 68
The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger
The Glass Bead Game by Hermann Hesse
A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway
Linda R.
user 7112521
Euless, TX
Post #: 130
Though my books rarely get chosen I will add a few of the books I am interested in reading. As I never read a book twice, none of these have I read.

White Dog Fell from the Sky - Eleanor Morse
The Last Runaway - Tracy Chevalier
The Edible Woman - Margaret Atwood
The Cement Garden - Ian Mcewan