add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Novel Ideas Message Board › Atlas Shrugged

Atlas Shrugged

user 8426704
Euless, TX
Post #: 5
You know, I forgot that I read We the Living. That was the one I really liked. Shows you what living in Russia was like during communism (the early years). Which was awful, obviously. I have read Anthem twice, but I honestly don't remember much about it. I enjoyed We the Living much more.

Witty Julie
"246 days without a stabbing event!"
A former member
Post #: 48
If I am able to complete it before its scheduled, I will make every effort to attend. I like what I've read so far.

Atlas Shrugged comes up quite often in the meetups and I'm not always the one who brings it up. We try to avoid books/topics on politics and religion that might ruin meetings for some. It probably doesn't help when the organizer is the worst about pulling us into these discussions. :)

Perhaps it is worth discussing adding the book for the group. It is worth reading for the fictional story and several of my liberal friends have loved the book though they did not agree with it. While there is a unique story, the reader is hit over the head with Rand's philosophy.

Because of the nature of this selection I think it would only be fair to add if there is a near unanimous wish for it. If one or two don't wish to read it and don't wish to lose those weeks that could be spent discussing other books then it's out. Reading this book based on majority rule would be the ultimate irony.

If you don't wish to read it but don't care about missing a few weeks then please let me know that and I won't count it as a vote against.

If there is a comparable book of the opposite political philosophy and enough support for reading that one, then we can add that to keep it fair. It might be best to stick to one that discusses a philosophical standpoint and not one that just attacks or supports specific politicians or programs.

Perhaps we could add a new meeting in what would have been an off week so that none are lost to those not interested.

It's only fair to just let those who actively attend meetings decide. It would be in the October or later time frame because of the size.

If you have no idea what this book is about or what the Libertarian philosophy is -- very small government, majority rule means nothing because you own your life.

You might not want to go to Wikipedia and read the plot if you're open to reading it because the spoilers will take away from the story.

A former member
Post #: 104
Linda/Judy, always nice to have another two victims. I'm going to have to work on that menu, Linda. I think anything I could name right now would give away info and I don't want to spoil any part of the book.

It would be great if you could make it, 'Lise. It seems like a long time since I talked to you. The meeting would still be months out so you have plenty of time. If you can't make that one, maybe you could make one of the other books. We'll screen Superman 2 after the discussion. Will that do it?

The more I think about Debbie's margarita idea the more I like it. I'll be so much more convincing and interesting if you are all drunk. Really we should just go ahead and institute that for every meeting! I give away way too much when drinking and I'm a light weight so I'm excused.

Jackie A.
user 9202751
Euless, TX
Post #: 1
I have not attended a meeting yet, but I have always wanted to read more of Ann Ryand's books. I read Anthem years ago. When is this meeting scheduled? Also, when is the next meeting & what book are we discussing?
A former member
Post #: 105
Hi, Jackie.

The Atlas Shrugged meeting has not yet been scheduled. We're going to talk it over during the next few meetups and see what everyone thinks and plan based on that input. It would be October at the earliest.

The next meeting is this Sunday (5/31) and is for Outliers.

Here is the full calendar so you can see what's coming:

user 4712938
Irving, TX
Post #: 5
I can't think of a witty reply, but I want to vote that we read the book, so this is all you get.

Lewisville, TX
Post #: 2
I have read AS about 5 years ago and really enjoyed it. For those not at the meetup when we were discussing this last time, I mentioned that I started reading it on a Sunday...then decided to take the next 3 days off work for vacation just so I could read. Since I tend to subscribe to the 'not one political view fits me', I'm always willing to discuss politics...and normally don't get too mean-spirited in those discussions.

Count me as a 'yes'.

P.S. Damon, I found the message board...had no idea this was here!! ;)
A former member
Post #: 106
I can't think of a witty reply, but I want to vote that we read the book, so this is all you get.

Cathy, am I going to have to send you home with a note pinned to your shirt that says we know you could do so much better if you really applied yourself? smile

That's okay, it's all I really needed. It'll be nice to have the book read by the group and then I won't have to keep apologizing for bringing it up. If you'd made that a drinking game back when I started you could be half way to rehab by now!
A former member
Post #: 107
P.S. Damon, I found the message board...had no idea this was here!! ;)

It's like all those underground bars during prohibition where the guy slides the part of the door and all you see are eyes. We only invite the very best people so welcome and choose wisely who you tell.

I started reading it on a Sunday...then decided to take the next 3 days off work for vacation just so I could read.

I love you! love struck
A former member
Post #: 112
It's on the list. If you want to make this one but can't make November 15th, please let me know as soon as you are able.