Novel Ideas Message Board › Non-group book suggestions

Non-group book suggestions

Damon
YellowJacket
The Colony, TX
Post #: 117
This thread is for posting book suggestions that you don't wish to recommend as additions for group meetups but think others might want to check out.
Damon
YellowJacket
The Colony, TX
Post #: 118
Holidays on Ice: Stories by David Sedaris

This is a fun collection of short stories for those whose sense of humor is a little bent. It's a small book that you'll finish in a few hours. It's Christmas-themed.
Julie
user 8426704
Euless, TX
Post #: 11
Y'all are in trouble now, because I can recommend for days...

Some of my favorite recent novels:
The House on Fortune Street - Margot Livesey
The Help - Kathryn Stockett
Graceling - Kristin Cashore (if you're a fantasy type, which I'm not, but I thought this was really good)

Also, since we talked about it at On the Border, if you want to add me to your Good Reads friends, I'm here: http://www.goodreads....­
And if you really love to talk about books all the time, try this site: Book Balloon
Allison
user 10055325
Euless, TX
Post #: 2
I second the vote for Holidays On Ice. One of my favorite authors. I read this book on a plane and couldn't stop laughing out loud.
A former member
Post #: 3
I would add, "It feels good when I stop" and "Everything Matters!"
Amber
user 10476691
Keller, TX
Post #: 2
Here is the link to 10 chick flick cliches that you will NOT see in He's Just Not that into you.

Also, I would like to recommend Three Men In a Boat (To Say Nothing of the Dog) by Jerome K Jerome - Three friends and a dog decide to go camping along the Thames for rest and relaxation. Of course this is one of those everything that can go wrong vacations. A lot of times, the trip takes a backseat to the stories and rants the narrator tells on an assortment of topics. For instance if he's not complaining about the tent collapsing, or the pouring down rain or they aren't lost then he'll be suddenly reminded about a time he carried home extremely smelly cheese on a train or he'll go off about how unreliable weather forecasts are. Jerome's wit is sharp and acerbic and even though this is set in Victorian England, Murphy's Law is timeless.
Cathy
user 4712938
Irving, TX
Post #: 7
Holidays on Ice: Stories by David Sedaris

This is a fun collection of short stories for those whose sense of humor is a little bent. It's a small book that you'll finish in a few hours. It's Christmas-themed.

If you want to listen to David Sedaris reading it instead of (or in addition to) reading it, I know that the Irving Public library has it available as an e-audio-book download. You will need an Irving library card to download it. So - check your own local library to see if they offer it or email me to get my card number. I'm not sure if they'll let one card download the same book to multiple computers?? but it's worth a try. It's a 7-day protected download, so maybe you want to wait until closer to the time we do it in bookclub.
Damon
YellowJacket
The Colony, TX
Post #: 122
Harrison Bergeron by Kurt Vonnegut is a fairly well known short story that's similar in theme to 1984. It's only a few pages long.

Here is a link where you can read it:
http://dana.ucc.nau.e...­
Julie
user 8426704
Euless, TX
Post #: 22
I know I've mentioned it to several people, but I wanted to recommend (again) Gone with the Wind. I've seen the book many times, and I love it. But the book is something else. It's really long, but there's not one boring moment. And no matter how you feel about the characters in the movie, your feelings will be a little different in the book. I am now in LOVE with Rhett Butler from the book, and I don't think too much of Scarlett. The book follows the general plotlines and all that that you see in the movie, but it's so much more detailed and nuanced and the characters are so rich. Highly, highly recommended!
Ric S.
user 11789042
Southlake, TX
Post #: 1
I recently read "Aztec" by Gary Jennings, and I'm currently reading the sequel, "Aztec Autumn". Fascinating historical novels! The prose is artful and enjoyable, and the author's research skills are superlative. The subject matter is the Aztec society, just prior to, and just subsequent to, the arrival of the Spanish Conquistadors. Of course, in some places, this is not for the squeamish, but overall, these mesoamerican people are portrayed as having had a well-developed, and sophisticated culture. In many ways, they are far more civilized than the Christians who conquered them. At over a thousand pages, "Aztec" is not what I'd consider 'casual' reading, but if you're a history buff, this one is not to be missed.