user 6309056
Arlington, TX
Post #: 2

Nevermind. Found the list.
Heather
user 7051622
Fort Worth, TX
Post #: 19
Before I make any suggestions I would like to know if there is a list of stuff that has already been done.

At the top, click on Meetups > Past.
A former member
Post #: 42
Here is one that I am reading now, it is really good, but a little raw for sensitive readers:
Cutting For Stone by Abraham Verghese

From Publishers Weekly
Starred Review. Lauded for his sensitive memoir (My Own Country) about his time as a doctor in eastern Tennessee at the onset of the AIDS epidemic in the 80s, Verghese turns his formidable talents to fiction, mining his own life and experiences in a magnificent, sweeping novel that moves from India to Ethiopia to an inner-city hospital in New York City over decades and generations. Sister Mary Joseph Praise, a devout young nun, leaves the south Indian state of Kerala in 1947 for a missionary post in Yemen. During the arduous sea voyage, she saves the life of an English doctor bound for Ethiopia, Thomas Stone, who becomes a key player in her destiny when they meet up again at Missing Hospital in Addis Ababa. Seven years later, Sister Praise dies birthing twin boys: Shiva and Marion, the latter narrating his own and his brothers long, dramatic, biblical story set against the backdrop of political turmoil in Ethiopia, the life of the hospital compound in which they grow up and the love story of their adopted parents, both doctors at Missing. The boys become doctors as well and Vergheses weaving of the practice of medicine into the narrative is fascinating even as the story bobs and weaves with the power and coincidences of the best 19th-century novel. for Stone by
Amber
user 10476691
Keller, TX
Post #: 16
I was thinking that since Banned Books Week is the last week in September we might want to choose one of those to read then.
A former member
Post #: 163
From Jen:

The Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult

This book is a novel with a comic book twist. Typical to Picoult, there's a moral issue at hand, and the fabric of family is put under the microscope. I read it in 2 days, couldn't put it down.
A former member
Post #: 167
From Jaqueline:

I have not been to a meeting yet but would likle to suggest Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosanay.
Paris 1942........Sarah a ten year old girl is taken with her parents by the French police as they go door to door arresting Jewish families in the middle of the night. Desperate to protect her younger brother Sarah locks him in a cupboard........their secret hiding place and promises to come back for him as soon as they are released. Sixty years later Sarah's story intertwines with an American Journalist investigating the round up. In her research she stumbles on a trail of secrets that link her to Sarah.
A former member
Post #: 3
I would like to recommend the following books for the group:

Night by Elie Wiesel (http://en.wikipedia.o...­)

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (http://en.wikipedia.o...­)

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck (http://en.wikipedia.o...­)

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Secret_Life_o­f_Bees)

Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah by Richard Bach (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illusions_(novel)­)
A former member
Post #: 4
Oh, one more...

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger (http://en.wikipedia.o...­)
A former member
Post #: 99
May I suggest another book that made the banned list?

Slaughterhouse 5, by K. Vonnegut.

I, too, would really like to see Catcher In The Rye make this fall's list.

A former member
Post #: 47
Mark, does that mean you're coming back to book club? :)
I vote for "Catcher" too.