Novel Ideas Message Board › Books for the group - 6/12/2011 and on

Books for the group - 6/12/2011 and on

Closed to new replies

Ric S.
user 11789042
Southlake, TX
Post #: 2
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Anson Heinlein

Its all in there, political intrigue, war, romance and the struggle of people to free themselves from a tyrannical opressor. When you have nothing left to fight with, throw rocks.
A former member
Post #: 1
I've never been in a book club before, so hopefully I'm not treading on etiquette by suggesting books before I've met anyone!

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini: It is about the hardships and bonds two women in Afghanistan experience as well as describing how life changed for women following the Taliban's take-over.

Daughter of Fortune by Isabel Allende: I love historical fiction! This shows a side of the development of the American West that isn't often told as the story follows the main character's transformation.
Damon
YellowJacket
Group Organizer
The Colony, TX
Post #: 203
Linda, I read Guernsey Book Club and Potato Peel Society and it was enjoyable. It made me want to visit the island! It was neat to read that one shortly after The Book Thief.

Melissa, all suggestions are welcome. We're shamelessly lacking in etiquette anyway. A Thousand Splendid Suns is a wonderful book.

How about:

Later, at the Bar: A Novel in Stories

Amazon

This one sounds different from anything we've done and the approach of linked stories sounded fun.
linda S.
user 8567609
Southlake, TX
Post #: 81
House Rules-Jodi Picolt-
Breathless-Dean Koontz

i read "House Rules" and loved it. Ric recommended Breathless and am still trying to get to it.

Books i haven't read but want to.
Wicked: Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire
Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
Tears of the Giraffe by Alexander McCall Smith-the author of the #1 Ladies' Detective Agency book
here is a description of the book:

Precious Ramotswe is the eminently sensible and cunning proprietor of the only ladies’ detective agency in Botswana. In Tears of the Giraffe she tracks a wayward wife, uncovers an unscrupulous maid, and searches for an American man who disappeared into the plains many years ago. In the midst of resolving uncertainties, pondering her impending marriage to a good, kind man, Mr. J. L. B. Matekoni, and the promotion of her talented secretary (a graduate of the Botswana Secretarial College, with a mark of 97 per cent), she also finds her family suddenly and unexpectedly increased by two.(less)
Damon
YellowJacket
Group Organizer
The Colony, TX
Post #: 221
Candide by Voltaire

Amazon

I read this in high school and enjoyed it.
Amber
user 10476691
Keller, TX
Post #: 31
My suggestion is Tender Morsels by Margo Lanagan

This book is a fantasy and reminds me of a Russian fairy tale. In Orson Scott Card Enchantment he wrote something like only a fool would want to live a Russian fairy tale. That means Tender Morsels is serious, weird, sad and uncomfortable.
At the same time it's really compelling and beautifully written. I think most of you know I'm not usually into poetic or flowery writing but here it really helps set the dark and strange fairy tale/ folk tale flavor.

Tender Morsels - Amazon

Here is a review that's really good but it also gives away pretty much the whole plot.

Cathy
user 4712938
Irving, TX
Post #: 24
Do I get to post an opinion without suggesting another book? good.

I read Wicked when it first came out. Loved the Broadway play; hated the book. It's really tedious and hard to read. Lots of detail that I didn't care about. The play really edits it down, and they add musical numbers! The book was like reading Moby Dick - counting every page so I could celebrate when I reached a milestone. IMHO; YMMV.

In all this time I haven't ever bothered to submit my votes because I will read anything. But I'll vote no on this one. I suppose if it gets on the list, I will try to reread it to see if my opinion has changed, but I'll reserve the right to not finish it.
Amy P.
user 13422314
North Richland Hills, TX
Post #: 1
I have not been to your group yet and hope to join soon.

Several Book I recommend are:

Sarah's Key (Holocaust and present day)

The Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick (I want to start reading this one)

The Help (during civil rights in America)

A former member
Post #: 2
"The Road" by Cormac McCarthy.
Postapocalytic story of a man and his son surviving.
Sounds a little dark to me, but it did win a Pulitzer.
My daughter gave it to me for Christmas and I need to find time to read it.
linda S.
user 8567609
Southlake, TX
Post #: 88
Ok Cathy I will withdraw the suggestion Wicked. Far be it to me to suggest another bad book.
How about some Mark Twain? Maybe Prince and the Pauper or A Connecticutt Yankee in King Arthur's Court?
Damon, I loved Voltaire. I read it in college and really enjoyed it.
I would really like to read something lighter or some non-fiction. I don't have any good suggestions for either genre. Someone help me out.
For those of you with suggestions. Join us. You'll like us.