OC Good Life Message Board › Say it isn't so!!

Say it isn't so!! OC Good Life is going to charge a fee to organizers to post?? REALLY??

A former member
Post #: 9
Please tell me that OC Good Life has not decided that it (Roberto and Ed) are now going to try and profit from the efforts of it's fellow organizers?

There are (currently) 56 organizers that plan events for OC Good Life. Some of them manage to make money off their events because they (if they find the need to do so) charge fees for members to attend.

I've been involved in many different non-profit, membership-based, organizations. If they provide you with something at their cost - such as a building, rent, rooms for meetings, cash/product prizes, etc.. they then charge a small membership fee. However, I've NEVER had someone ask for me to PAY THEM to host a party under their name.

If the task of managing one of the top five MeetUp groups in the country is so much work that 56 people can't seem to pull together and handle it, perhaps it's time to move on. I can COMPLETELY understand how a large group can become overwhelming. Yet, if only 1/10th of the organizers involved were to, perhaps, rotate the task of answering emails, or sorting through complaints - I think you could get by without it being so much of a challenge. You've come this far - and it's been working, and now you want to change it??

If someone who has been gracious enough to invite me into their home or to their party has to then pay for the "privilege" to do so - I'm out.

Charge everyone in the group $2 a month, or $10 a year to be involved with OC Good Life. Then pay someone to handle the day-to-day tasks. That would be understandable. But to charge the very people who have made this group grow to over 6000 members just for them to post an event - that will grow the group even more - is, in my humble opinion, a kick in the teeth.

So.. I'll wait in the wings to see. But if that's the direction this group's management has decided to go.. I'm done. Not that you'll all miss me that terribly. Nonetheless.. I'll bid you a fond farewell.
Tracy
user 7745924
Laguna Niguel, CA
Post #: 14
Lee I couldn't agree with you more. It was as if you took all my thoughts and added them to the discussion board. I privately emailed the same concerns to our leaders about charging volunteers to volunteer and was told that "virtually all AO's embrace this new idea".? I guess you and I are the two not part of the all. To quote you " if that's the direction this group's management has decided to go.. I'm done."
Kenneth
user 6920644
Covina, CA
Post #: 4
Wonders never cease. If I ever showed up to a pub crawl and made the mistake of asking Roberto more than one or two questions pertaining to his line of work, I shudder to think of his minimum consultation fee! Is my thought less realistic than his (or their) proposal? As far as i've read, it isn't a membership fee; but assistant organizers paying the boss to assist him.
Katie
user 9426596
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Post #: 9
Tracy you are not alone!! Many AO's not happy about it!!
Tiffany
user 11164190
Costa Mesa, CA
Post #: 4
I couldn't agree more! The very heart of our group was founded because of another groups greediness. It saddens me to think that OCGL is going down the very path we all were once disgusted with. And to charge the very people who helped make this entire group a success saddens me the most! Yes it was one person who started the group, but the help and hard work of all the amazing, diverse organizers that made it great!
A former member
Post #: 10
Just to be clear.. (and I'm not saying this is necessarily the case).. this is not a personal attack - nor should it become one.

What someone does with their own group is their business. I cannot and do not wish to force anyone to do anything they feel should be done differently. I'm merely trying to clarify and to discuss possible options. OC Good Life should, and hopefully will, continue. What I am hoping is that others who feel there are better ways to handle something will make their thoughts and suggestions known. Hopefully then, those in charge will be open minded enough to consider the possibilities.

Roberto is a fine person. I have no personal agenda against him. Nor to Ed. They have both been gracious to me.

Let us offer up suggestions and solutions. Let us not make this about bashing people or other agendas. (Again.. not saying anyone did. I just don't want this discussion to become a catalyst for such actions.)

Thanks everyone!

Discuss on..
Peter
pcmeetup
Anaheim, CA
Post #: 151
I'm curious to see how this turns out. While I agree this initially looks like a bad idea (charging your life blood to post events) and has many risks (why would members pay more to attend events which might cost less elsewhere) there do appear to be some fundamental cncepts which could prove to be promising. First is the elephant in the room. Some people are profiting from events but aren't compensating the owner of the group. Every owner of their group has a right to charge these people ... it's just very difficult to determine who is making money and who isn't. Second, while I feel the application of the idea isn't optimal we could possibly as members benefit from this. The goal is to get event planners to contact venues and negotiate. I would hope the goal would be to pay RobertoEd, the event organizer makes some money for their effort, and the attendees get a discount or perk for attending. Finally, many event planners are frustrated with less than admiral actions on the part of some members. They are "working for free" and some members appear to feel the events are a complimentary indulgence. Now the event planners will have incentive to find ways to be compensated for pampering these attendees.

What I'd like to see is RobertoEd working with MU to improve the site to better allow this concept to work. For example, if I negotiate with a venue I'd like to he able to offer advertising to the venue on RobertoEd's site which would add a short term sponsor link I set up within the event (not the sponsor section). Also since RobertoEd want ke to pay them to post and suggest I charge members thenchange the Event page to allow me to pay while adding the event And Let Me Collect Money Directly Through The Meetup Event. Currently this feature sends money to RobertoEd and not the event planner. For example if I set the event to require mandatory payment when people RSVP the money goes to RobertoEd and not me. Last, while I admire the motivation to contact venues and negotiate, I would appreciate support from RobertoEd in doing this. I'm apparently not much of a salesperson since nearly all my efforts to negotiate discounts or revenue share have been rejected.
Tracy
user 7745924
Laguna Niguel, CA
Post #: 15
I do not consider myself an event planner but rather a volunteer organizing events that help bring people together to enjoy an activity and meet other people who enjoy the same type of activity. The purpose for me joining meet-up and ultimately deciding to volunteer my time. My contact with venues has been to reserve space if available and/or give them a heads up so they would be adequately staffed to provide us excellent service. As far as negotiating perks, I have organized in excess of probably 80 events for the Good Life since the summer of 2011 and my only reward was meeting new friends and having them appreciate my efforts for putting an event on the calendar and making them feel welcome. Very rewarding for a person volunteering their time! The Good Life is free to take whatever direction they want regarding making a profit and requiring organizers to pay a fee, and then suggesting they recover that fee by asking bands for a referral fee or venues for a cut of the bar or food tab, but there are plenty of other meet-ups that consider themselves lucky just to have volunteers and would never consider charging them a fee to volunteer their time.
Jim T.
user 6992215
San Clemente, CA
Post #: 1
I am one of those organizers who can and does profit at times from the events that I host. The venues I work with profit well, but would not participate in such a venture. The onus is always on me to bring an audience.

In fact I approached Robert before I was aware of the new plan with an offer to do exactly what has just been implemented.

My events no doubt are commercial events. There is a cost to members either in a cover charge or a required expense imposed by the venue with regard to food and beverage. My personal financial benefits are obtained solely based on attendance. I typically get paid by the venue by the number of seats filled. If I sell tickets I get paid more, but if the house is not full then I suffer the consequences. My last two big shows did not even cover my cost for just the headliners, let alone the other comics, nor the marketing costs. So I push for free admission, or a cover charge with no minimum purchase requirements in the interest of packing the house.

OCGL has been very supportive of my events, and although I am fortunate to break even most of the time, without Meet Up members I would have a much harder time filling seats.

So why do I do it? My monthly show at The Hills Hotel is in its 4th year, almost a record for OC Comedy. The Improv is a credibility show. I get hired to put on corporate events and fundraisers because potential clients are in these audiences.

My biggest wish is that I could find a way to entice more OCGL members to attend my events. I have tried special raffles for Meet Up only, done private meet and greets, and even twice did a free open wine bar for Meet Up only before the show. None of that really impacted attendance.

For me and my long term plans, a paid posting on OCGL at least allows me to give something back. Where else can a promoter reach 6,200 people for that type of fee?

I do agree that this fee should be imposed on events that have a proft motive.

Eric P. (.
user 11177951
Huntington Beach, CA
Post #: 1
I'm not understanding what the fees are for? It's at most $19 a month for meetup.com and if any AO's what to create a meetup then they should know whats involved (getting there early, saving tables, setup with the location etc) if they don't want to do that then they don't and no event. simple.

If you want to get ballsy then say no AO or member can charge for anything other then fees charged by the location/venue and the member must pay the venue or location directly.

Also what happens to all the surplus money? is it evenly distributed to all AO's is there an audit of funds? are the Org 1099 for the income? sounds shady and like an opportunity to tap an additional income source for personal use.

I would like to hear more on this.. Also was this sent out to the general membership to tell them of this?