align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

OKC WordPress Users Group Message Board › Open Camp in Dallas - Replaces WordCamp

Open Camp in Dallas - Replaces WordCamp

David N.
davidnorth
Edmond, OK
Post #: 6
I got this email ...

Hi there WordCampers!
I hope that 2010 has been treating you all quite well, and that this little bit of news will perk things up a bit too!
After WordCamp Dallas 2009 people almost immediately begin asking when the next WordCamp was going to be. Well, in the process of planning for it, we were approached by our friends in the Drupal community to see about the possibility of holding both events at the same time and location.
Well, this sparked the idea of actually opening up to people in all the big CMS communities, which ultimately led to the concept of "OpenCamp".
So this year, we are going to do something radically different! We're bringing together folks from the WordPress, Joomla and Drupal communities for one giant weekend of education and socializing on August 28-29 in Addison, TX at the Crowne Plaza hotel. We expect that this year's event will be three times as big as last year, and there will be a lot of new faces as we begin co-mingling with other bloggers, podcasters and developers.
A few things you should know about OpenCamp:
• Registration is now open, tickets start at $99, and this is the early registration price only good through the end of May. (Register soon!)
• The cost is up a bit this year from previous years for two simple reasons. First, the last two WordCamp events lost money, as I documented with An Open-Source Look at the Cost of WordCamp Dallas, and the event is just too big for me to privatly subsidize any longer. Secondly, our event has grown too large to be held at any of the free venues around town. BTW, you can see the attendee list online as well. The earlier you sign up, the higher your name is listed.
• Although we are going to have people there who use different platforms, there will still be WordPress specific content presented. The plan is to hold common sessions in the mornings that deal with topics affecting everyone (such as monetization, SEO, Social Media, etc.) and then to break out into specific camps in the afternoons (WordCamp, DrupalCamp, JoomlaCamp, etc.)
• Because we're going to have such a large group, we are expecting some big name presenters this year, so although the list is not finalized yet, you can rest assured that the content is going to be fantastic! Already on the docket are Cali Lewis, Giovanni Gallucci and Chris Pirillo. And we're just getting started!
• For those of you who came to the Friday night welcome parties in the past, know that we are going to do it again this year! We're currently thinking about bowling since it was a big hit last year. But we're also going to have after parties at the hotel in the evening for those who stay there and help fill our room block minimums. Don't miss this chance to socialize after hours - grab a room and have a stay-cation with the rest of us! (We've got a great $89 per night room rate.)
So, if you have any questions, suggestions, or just want to chat about what's going on, feel free to drop me a line. I sincerely hope to see you all again this year for what promises to be one of the most amazing events around. Let's make history!

Cheers,
John P.
http://OpenCa.mp...
http://onemansblog.co...­
john.pozadzides@gmail.com

Event: OpenCamp Dallas 2010

Date: Saturday, August 28, 2010 - Sunday, August 29, 2010

14315 Midway Road
Addison, TX 75001
(972) 980-8877

For more information click here: OpenCa.mp