Photography has evolved greatly from the early days of Kodak, to iPhones and Instagram. In the age of social media, sharing and crowdsourcing have been key to reshaping photo journalism – is it for better or worse? Join us at 6:30 p.m. on Wednesday, February 15 at NBC News in Rockefeller Center for a lively discussion. This ONA NYC monthly meetup is also part of Social Media Week: http://socialmediaweek.org/newyork/
Moderator: Heather Murphy, Photo Editor at Slate | @heathertal
• James Estrin, Staff Photographer, New York Times | @JamesEstrin
• Paul Moakley, Deputy Photo Editor at TIME | @PaulMoakley & @TIMEPictures
• Anthony Quintano: Sr. Community Manager, NBC News | @anthonyquintano
• Janis Krums: Co-Founder of Elementz Nutrition | @jkums (Hudson Landing Twitpic: https://twitter.com/#!/jkrums/status/[masked])
• Jim Collins, New York Photo Desk Manager, Associated Press | @JimCollinsAP
Come to 30 Rockefeller Plaza on 49 St between 5th and 6th Avenues; you will enter under the NBC marquee. You will see signage for the event where you'll head up the escalator to the NBC mezzanine. NBC requires photo ID which matches the name on our guest list. This is needed before 3 PM, Feb 14.
If your Meetup ID, (like mine, Aleeda), is not your full--meaning first and last--legal name, please send an email to [masked] using ONAFEB12 as the subject, indicating both your Meetup ID and your full name. Your nametag will list your Meetup name, but the guest list must have your full name.
Use this special hashag: #SMWONANYC when tweeting about this event. We encourage you to take photos and videos and share them here on Meetup! Please bring your ID's and please visit http://journalists.org to find out more about the Online News Association and to become a member!