addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Omaha Photography Meetup Group Message Board › Upgrading my camera....cheaply

Upgrading my camera....cheaply

A former member
Post #: 2
I am looking to upgrade from my point and shoot...which gives great pics, but want to learn all the manipulations I can do to get an excellent pic.

Any thoughts on buying a USED camera from CraigsList? What kind of things should I look for in a used camera that a novice, like me, won't know to look for that makes a camera a waste of money?

I'm looking at a Kodak Easyshare Z7590 which includes a 256mb SD card ( I have better) and 10x optical zoom, spare battery and charger, and carrying case. All this and the printing dock (-the ink) for $80. Is this a nice baby step for me?

Thanks for all your help!!

Cindi B.
user 8289311
Omaha, NE
Post #: 11
Hi Cindy,

I recently upgraded by purchasing a camera from Craig's List. I did ask to meet the seller first, and take a look at the camera. The seller agreed and I purchased the camera, and am very happy with it.

Where are you going with your photography at this point? I checked out the camera specs, and it is a 7 year old camera (which does not mean it's a bad deal!!), and I am unable to tell if it has an eyepiece or if it's the type of camera where you just look at the screen on the back.
I personally, like to look through the viewfinder of my cameras and not the screen on the back. Also, the Kodak is a fixed lens. So you would be limited to the range of the lens that comes with the camera.

I know it's a tough decision! But if you are really liking photography, then maybe a nice baby step would be to something like the Rebel series from Canon? You can get those pretty cheap and they have all the bells and whistles.

Good luck!