July 26, 2012 · 7:00 PM
This location is shown only to members
All physicists with whom I polled disapprove of how "Quantum" is used in the title above - with the exception of Dr. Sam Beckett.
We have stellar guests who are traveling down from the Bay Area to present. Our first speaker, Paul Guth, will provide an overview of a real live OpenStack private cloud deployment. Paul is the VP of Technical Operations at Cloudscaling.
Our second presenter is Somik Behera. Somik is in charge of the Software Product Management and Development at Nicira. He is also a core contributor to the Quantum project in OpenStack. Quantum is basically “network connectivity as a service” and it’s currently being incubated in the Essex release of OpenStack. Quantum will become a core project when Folsom is released in late September. Somik will discuss network virtualization and Quantum.
Special thanks goes out to our gracious host, Morphlabs. They will be sponsoring the event with food and drink. I’ll add menu details soon. The Morphlabs CEO, Winston Damarillo, will perform a lightning talk after the intermission.
IMPORTANT: Free parking is available under the building.
7:00PM – Food, drink, chatting
7:30 – Welcome
7:35 – Paul Guth, Cloudscaling
• Overview of a real live production OpenStack private cloud deployment including:
- Pre-build considerations
- Building the Cloud
- Operating the Cloud
• Details on components used, HA strategy, and challenges of integrating into existing IT Ops environments
8:00 – Intermission
8:15 – Winston Damarillo, Morphlabs (Lightning Talk)
• Updates about the foundation and answer any questions
• Discuss the flexibility and extensibility of OpenStack beyond core compute and storage
• Show how OpenStack allows for use of best-of-breed cloud building blocks
8:25 – Somik Behera, Nicira
• Why Quantum?
• What is the architecture and roadmap?
• How can Quantum be leveraged by customers for greenfield and existing cloud infrastructure deployments.
• How can Quantum be integrated with Fabrics, Software Defined Networks/Openflow?
• Live Demo of Quantum deploying a 20 VM virtual environment with isolated virtual networks in seconds.
8:50 – Sessions are complete – more mingling