* Membership fees
You need to make a contribution to the group. This website is not free, so members need to help to keep it going.
If you pay promptly after joining, lets say within one month of joining, you are welcome to contribute £5 only.
If you delay your payment, attend meetups or stay lurking for a while I would appreciate a £10 contribution (pay per view so to speak :-) ).
* How does the group work?
Meetups are scheduled around an operatic performance taking place in London or nearby. The host or Organizer suggests the performance and when possible a sitting area (so people are close to each other), you are responsible to buy your own ticket unless explicitly told otherwise, group members meet before and after the opera and during the intervals.
Acceptable events include staged Opera performances by companies of any size, live and recorded Opera broadcasts in cinemas as well as Operas in concert/recital form.
Arias in concert, light opera, zarzuela, operetta may be programmed at the discretion of the Organizer, musicals most definitively are not allowed. If you want to see Lion King this is not the group for it.
- You are encouraged to organize your own Meetups. Do not tell us you are going here or there this or that date in the comments, I will simply delete those comments. Schedule a Meetup instead, I'll grant you host status and put your dates in our main calendar so other people can join you.
A list with some interesting future performances in London is available in case you need some ideas: http://www.meetup.com... , the major London Opera Companies always have a calendar of events that you can review as well.
If you don't fancy hosting a Meetup then just join the Meetups created by others.
What performances will we see?
The width and breadth of the performances has been quite eclectic, since the group got started we have explored Opera from its very beginning all the way to modern composers producing new work.
We have been to ENO, ROH, Opera Holland Park, Hampsted Garden Opera, Clerkenwell's Kings Head pub (Opera Up Close), Royal Albert Hall (PROMS), Saddlers Wells and HD live broadcasts and projections from varied companies in the Barbican, BFI IMAX, Odeon Covent Garden, Fulham Broadway Vue, Kings Place, etc.
Badges of honour:
Members that are active in the group receive a badge of honour, roughly as stated below, I hope this will help me to organize some special events for selected people in the future.
* Opera curious: you are attending your first 2 Meetups, I hope you enjoy our reunions.
* Opera Goer: you have paid your contribution to the group and are now a permanent member.
* Opera Lover: you meant it when you said you love Opera :-) You organize your own Meetups in the group and attend regularly other Meetups.
* Opera Divo(a): reserved for those that are outstanding members of the group.
* Phantom of the Opera: you can't join Meetups, get in touch if you want this removed (did you pay your contribution?)
- Capital sin: not showing up to Meetups without giving notice. People doing this 3 times will be removed from the group, your name will be marked with an "X" every time you do this. I'll remove one "X" from your profile if you pay a little fine of £1 per "X".
- Assistant Organizers and hosts won't charge other members for organizing Meetups. The only charge is the London Opera Meetup membership fee levied when you join the group.
Some people have asked me what do they get for their money! First of all note that if you are an active member of this group you pay quite little for enjoying it, in any case I have cited the following:
- Knowing there are people out there willing to go and watch Opera with you. Never again stand on your own during an interval :-) , connect with interesting people that will surprise you (we have had people from all ways of life, many nationalities and professions) and discover operatic (and companies!) gems you didn't know that existed.
- So far we have got goodies from Lexi cinema and special treatment from ENO for a couple of performances and one off discounts from several companies.
- The dedicated organization of Meetups: don't underestimate this, it takes time, money and effort to organize every Meetup.
Do you have tickets, discounts, services or goods that may interest Opera lovers in London?
Then please get in touch using the respective link in the group's home page.
I am open to consider any offers, the more closely aligned to Opera, the more likely you are to be highlighted as a valuable sponsor , so please get in touch and lets talk about it.
Unsolicited advertisement in any form (including your user name, comments, email list and any others) using the group's resources is not allowed and will be dealt with harshly. Your monetary contribution is not a licence to advertise to members of the group. Contributions will not be reimbursed if I decide you are abusing this rule and as a consequence you are excluded from the group. Become a sponsor instead!
Finally I wish you to have a great time in the group. I look forward to meeting you in the future.
|Page title||Most recent update||Last edited by|
|Announced performances||July 25, 2014 11:31 AM||anonymous|
|About The London Opera Meetup||June 25, 2014 10:39 AM||anonymous|