* Membership fees
Some people don't realize that Meetup isn't free, regardless of how much you participate on this group, keeping it running has a cost which I have decided should be shouldered by all.
That's the reason I am requesting an upfront, one off, non refundable fee to pay for hosting costs. New members should pay this within a week of joining or they will be removed from the group without further discussion.
This small one off payment will ensure this space in Meetup continues working, it gives you access to the group for 6 months, after that if your account is inactive for any 6 months period I will remove you from the group.
This isn't open to negotiation or argument, if you don't like this policy please don't join the group.
* How does the group work?
- Meetups are scheduled around an operatic performance taking place in London (inside the M25 for reference).
- Anybody can suggest meetups, the only condition is to agree to hosting it if one is suggesting it.
- Each person is responsible to buy his own ticket.
- Meetups include pre performance, interval and post performance reunions. The host on the day has final say about how these happen. Reunions in pubs, bars, even picnics have happened, new ideas always welcomed.
Acceptable performances include:
- Operatic performances by companies of any size.
- Live and recorded Opera broadcasts in cinemas.
- Operas in concert/recital form.
- Arias in concert, light opera, zarzuela, operetta may be programmed at the discretion of the Organizer.
* Musicals most definitively are not allowed. If you want to see the Lion King this is not the group for it.
* A list with some interesting future performances in London is available in case you need some ideas: http://www.meetup.com...
, the major London Opera Companies always have a calendar of events that you can review as well.What performances will we see?
The width and breadth of the performances has been quite eclectic, since the group got started we have explored Opera from its very beginning all the way to modern composers producing new work.
We have been to ENO, ROH, Opera Holland Park, Hampsted Garden Opera, Clerkenwell's Kings Head pub (Opera Up Close), Royal Albert Hall (PROMS), Saddlers Wells and HD live broadcasts and projections from varied companies in the Barbican, BFI IMAX, Odeon Covent Garden, Fulham Broadway Vue, Kings Place, etc.Courtesy rules:
- Capital sin
: not showing up to Meetups without giving notice. If you do this 3 times I'll have a chat with you aiming to suspend you from the group.
- Assistant Organizers and hosts won't charge other members for organizing Meetups. The only charge is the London Opera Meetup membership fee levied when you join the group.Benefits:
Some people have asked me what do they get for their money! First of all note that if you are an active member of this group you pay quite little for enjoying it, in any case I have cited the following:
- Knowing there are people out there willing to go and watch Opera with you. Never again stand on your own during an interval :-) , connect with interesting people that will surprise you (we have had people from all ways of life, many nationalities and professions) and discover operatic (and companies!) gems you didn't know that existed.
- So far we have got goodies from Lexi cinema and special treatment from ENO for a couple of performances and one off discounts from several companies.
- The dedicated organization of Meetups: don't underestimate this, it takes time, money and effort to organize every Meetup.Sponsorship
Do you have tickets, discounts, services or goods that may interest Opera lovers in London?
Then please get in touch using the respective link in the group's home page.
I am open to consider any offers, the more closely aligned to Opera, the more likely you are to be highlighted as a valuable sponsor , so please get in touch and lets talk about it.Unsolicited advertisement.
Unsolicited advertisement in any form (including your user name, comments, email list and any others) using the group's resources is not allowed and will be dealt with harshly. Your monetary contribution is not a licence to advertise to members of the group
. Contributions will not be reimbursed if I decide you are abusing this rule and as a consequence you are excluded from the group. Become a sponsor instead!
Finally I wish you to have a great time in the group. I look forward to meeting you in the future.