align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Orange County User Experience Message Board Orange County User Experience Discussion Forum › CSUF Online UX and Usability Certificate - Feedback and Ideas

CSUF Online UX and Usability Certificate - Feedback and Ideas

Dennis R.
user 31317472
Irvine, CA
Post #: 2
Many of you know that I am beginning work on developing an online version of Cal State Fullerton's current UX and Usability Certificate. I am requesting feedback from you all. Online learning is obviously very much about user experience so I am interested in your input from that perspective as well as potential or former students. What do you think about a UX Certificate offered online?
Steve N.
user 35380212
Newport Beach, CA
Post #: 1
I just joined the group. Sounds like a good idea. The Certificate is something short of a Master's, correct?
One would think it's a natural to put online because it's using computer technology. However I think you will find that there is a lot of peer to peer learning (or should be) that takes place in the face-to-face model of the program. Do you think the technology for multimedia and delivery is up to par with the requirements of the coursework?
Dennis R.
user 31317472
Irvine, CA
Post #: 4
I agree about Peer to Peer interaction..... However, after having been immersed in this community for over a year now, I have no doubt that Peer to Peer interaction will happen. We will provide a great number of electronic tools for this purpose but the UX community has already developed a very strong electronic communications network and in many cases prefer to use their existing methods over the tools we provide.

Our technology is definitely up to par for delivery of the coursework. We continually strive to go a step further than other online programs to engage and motivate our students. We have an entire department devoted to course development that includes Instructional Designers, Media Developers, and Programmers. We also have a complete Green Screen Studio and the latest digital HD equipment.
A former member
More than a certification, the driving forces for me to get enrolled into an online course are:
1. Free + Not more than 4-6 hours of weekly commitment.
2. Upfront Agenda Declaration: Very clear explanation of instructor's understanding of "UX"
3. Content Quality: In this case, design process explanation, design evaluation, user and task analysis, attacking the subject from Cognitive, Social Psychology aspects as well as implementation tools, etc
3. Hands On: Few projects done with instructor and one more major group project.
4. Availability of instructor or TA to help out in forums.
5. A UI similar to Udacity or at least similar to Coursera.
Kathryn R.
user 20290031
Anaheim, CA
Dennis;
I think offering an online certificate is a great idea. Having completed another (intense) online UX/UI course, I agree with the other comments on this board, and from a UX standpoint I would alsoo add:
1) Make a clear distinction in the course description, and curriculum that "mobile UX design" is a SEPARATE course. Even though certain web building tools automatically convert to mobile platforms, I have yet to see a fully attractive conversion, in addition to the fact that quality mobile app design is in its own arena. If you do combine full web UX with mobile design concepts, please devote as much time and energy to the similarities and differences in each aspect.
2) Design a grading system that is not a nightmare for both students, and programmers. If quizzes are incorporated, allow the student to see the results immediately, and print the grade just in case the system is in error by the end of the course. This allows the student to prover his/her grade, if he/she feels the system is in error for earning the certificate. System grading errors can be a nightmare.
3) There is so much talent out there, yet many students simply can't afford to test their skills due to lack of funds. I agree with the other post on this board - please give many interested and talented students a chance to earn a UI certificate by offering the course for free. (Maybe you can have more than one level of the course, and the first levels are free so the student can earn a pathway to higher skills training (?).
4) There are other excellent UI certificate courses out there, so from a UI/UX standpoint, I would research the other UI certificate courses , and identify a 'niche' or 'need' this certificate course will fill that the others don't fill. Some examples are attention to the distinction in devices, building UI from the "App up" (vs.full website), survey of the best web building tools for designers (this month!), etc.
f.w.i.w., and good luck!
Danielle A.
DanielleArad
Tel Aviv-Yafo, IL
I think this is a great idea. I'm originally from Orange County but moved away overseas. When I saw that CSUF offered the course I was bummed out only because I couldn't attend. I'm eagerly waiting to see if this will happen. If so, I'm in.
Shraddha S.
user 8535078
Huntington Beach, CA
Hi. My name is Shraddha and I am a graduate of this program. This is an intensive course that I started in July 2012 and finished in February 2013. I scored a UX/UI position because of the coursework I learned here. However, depending on your background many areas of it are challenging and rigorous. Certainly worth it, though!

I don't think this program can be as useful purely online as it is in person especially for those that area brand new to the world of UX. The teacher-student interaction, group projects and peer-to-peer network are critical to the learning process and sustainability going forward.

All of that will be lost with a 100 percent online approach.

As wonderful as technology is for immediacy, it definitely creates a distance and that will impair learning. The teachers are wonderful and are still a source of support and knowledge for me months after finishing the program. I think they could bring their energy, intellect and care for the students' experience to an online forum but I think that this should only supplement the in-class experience instead of replace it.

For people where distance is an issue, I would suggest using a webcam to stream the activities, lectures and discussion happening in the classroom.

Thanks for letting me chime in. Please let me know if I can answer any questions or clarify any points for you.