A note on the Location
We'll be in the GSAED building at Ottawa University, the same building as Cafe Nostalgica, in Room 307. You can take the elevator or the stairs up there.
If you'd like some food, you can buy some at Cafe Nostalgica on the first floor.
We'll be mingling until about 7pm, so feel free to either eat in the Cafe or upstairs.
We have three cool talks lined up for you:
1. Jean-Claude Batista will teach us how to do some neat things with Ruby on Raspberry Pi
2. Xander Miller will be giving us the first part of his series on building the fictional app, Timber: A dating site for Lumberjacks and Lumberjanes. He'll be using this series to teach the various relationships found in Rails.
3. Uri Gorelik will be showing us his Suds gem, which allows you to import data from various sources (E.g., raw text, CSV, JSON, etc.), to have the gem clean it and then export it. He'll also be going over how to customize it.
Have a topic to present? Let the organizers know by filling in this short form.
Time and Place
• Date: Tuesday, October 28th, 2014
• Time: 6:30pm
• Place: To Be Determined
• Bring: Yourselves :)
1. Talk: Connecting things to the Internet with a Raspberry Pi and Ruby, by Jean-Claude Batista
Jean-Claude Batista (Twitter | Homepage) will be giving us a talk on using Ruby with a Raspberry Pi device.
Here's the abstract:
---- Snip ----
Connecting things to the Internet with a Raspberry Pi and Ruby
In this talk, I'll walk you through building a simple Internet Appliance with the Raspberry Pi using Ruby, Sinatra and the PiPiper gem. The focus will be on using the Raspberry Pi GPIO ports and would be beginner friendly.
---- End Snip ----
2. Lightning Talk: Learning Associations: Episode 1, by Xander Miller
Xander Miller (Twitter | Homepage) will be giving a Lightning Talk on Rails Associations.
Here's a brief description:
---- Snip ----
Learning Rails Associations building Timber: the dating app for lumberjacks and lumberjanes...
Episode 1: There is always a belongs_to
In our first iteration of Timber we build the app using the has_many and has_one association with a particular focus on how the belongs_to association relates to the database layer and our migration files.
---- End Snip ----
3. Lightning Talk: The Suds Gem
Uri Gorelik (Twitter | Homepage) will be giving us a talk on HealthWave's Suds gem, which is a handy gem that can be used to import, clean, and store data of various types.
He'll be going over the gem itself, and showing how to customize it to your usage.
Hey, you... Wanna give a talk sometime? :)
We're looking for more speakers over the coming months, and we'd love to have more local members give talks. So, if you'd be up for giving a talk sometime, please let us know by filling in this short form.
Any suggestions, feedback or requests?
If you have any suggestions for things you'd like to see from Ottawa Ruby (e.g. suggestions for meetup themes, things you'd like to learn about, or other general feedback), please feel free to let us know here. It's anonymous, if you'd like it to be. :)
While you're waiting for Ruby Tuesday, here are some resources:
- New to Ruby or Ruby on Rails? Check out the Getting Started with Ruby on Rails blog post at OttawaRuby.ca.
- Want to a few tips on writing more Ruby-esque code? See the Three Code-Style Tips for the Budding Ruby Developer post on OttawaRuby.ca.
- Questions? Join us in the Ottawa Ruby Google Group.
- Up for giving a talk sometime? Let the organizers know by submitting this short form.
- We'd also love to hear your feedback and suggestions. Holler at us via this feedback form.
We hope to see you there!
The Ottawa Ruby Team