Over 40 and Kicking It Up Adventure and Social Club Message Board › Deep Creek Lake - Ideas for staying here for a long weekend

Deep Creek Lake - Ideas for staying here for a long weekend

Bob
Washington, DC
Post #: 120
I finished the draft write-up, here it is.

Deep Creek Lake - Labor Day Weekend Resort Getaway

August 31 - September 3, 2012, for $6444 and for 28 vacationers.

"Under The Moon" - the largest and most expensive chalet at Deep Creek Lake, an area that already boasts world-class resorts. This is the most beautiful residence available, and it has so many amenities that an entire vacation could be spent inside it:

Under The Moon boasts the most amazing panoramic view of Deep Creek Lake, the largest lake in Maryland..

Years past, I would drive by these resorts, and wonder about who could possibly afford staying at such beautiful lakeside luxury chalets. Folks would say to me, as they rolled their eyes, Yes, but have you ever seen "Under The Moon," now that is some villa. What one cannot do, as a team we all can do. We can stay, during Labor Day Weekend no less, as a group in this top-of-the-line chalet. If we divide the total rental cost by 28, we can afford it.

Labor Day is Monday, September 3, 2012. Under The Moon is booked forever unless we ask for a weeklong rental during peak season, at an astronomical cost, but it is available to us for the Labor Day Weekend only.

Here is what Under The Moon looks like from the lake.

We would stay three nights and four days there. Saturday through Tuesday.

The complete cost including taxes and fees is $6,444.00 and that comes to $230 per person.

We would have our own private sanded volleyball court in front of the lake. We could invites others, as they pass by in their boats, and have a friendly game of volleyball. In fact, if we bring a dayglow ball, it can be seen from across the lake at night, and that becomes a social magnet.

Under The Moon surpasses excellence to set the highest standards possible in vacation retreats! Under the Moon will fulfill all your dreams with its spacious, beautifully decorated rooms and numerous amenities. It is time for us to pamper ourselves......

But what happens if it rains? Well, we have our own private indoor swimming pool! Yes, an indoor swimming pool in our villa. Or we can go in one of our three hot tubs or sit by one of the fireplaces. Or we could go in our own sauna room located in the Villa. Who needs night clubs when we can listen to music on our jukebox inside the villa. We can go downstairs and play arcades or shoot some pool at our billiards table.

The game room in Under The Moon.

Our sauna room.

The lake is too cold? No problem. We have our own indoor heated pool.

I realize that $230 is a high cost for a long weekend, but when you see this place, you will realize that it is worth every penny.

This will be the most luxurious lakeside villa that we could possibly stay at a resort known for high-end living.

This would be a fun and adventurous long weekend. I am planning to rent us a boat, either a large motor boat or a pontoon, and we can use it on the lake. And use our own private dock! Here is what we will have, the largest pontoon on the lake. It is 12-person capacity, but is is ours for the day for $450 plus tax for a full day. Let's say we each pay $20 for the use of this large vessel:

Our 90 HP Triple-Pontoon, from the marina on the lake

Here is a description of this specialized pontoon:

Our tripletoon boats are newer, go faster, tow better, and ride smoother than all of our competitors’ pontoon boats for rent on Deep Creek Lake. They also don't look like a "rental boat."
On the 90HP the center pontoon allows for enhanced handling and performance. With an exclusive tripletoon technology, the larger center pontoon creates more lift out of the water. The third pontoon on the boat make these vessels four times more stable than standard pontoons. If we have anyone that is timid about boating, this is how they should experience boating while on vacation.
At 23’ in length, the deck grants plenty of space and room for many people.
With maximum flexibility in mind, a rear entry gate with a fixed four-step ladder allows easy access for water sports.
Available with a table
The outfitter solely permits towing of tubes, skis, and wakeboards that are purchased or rented from Deep creek Marina due to insurance stipulation.

We could go to Swallow Falls State Park, and take a hike there. Georgette has just returned from there, and she took some beautiful pictures; they are located at:

http://www.meetup.com...­

The web site for Swallow Falls State Park is at: http://www.dnr.state....­

We should do the breakfasts together, since the restaurants are in town and we can socialize before we do whatever we plan to do. According;y, please look at this list and note what you would bring:

Coffee and Tea

Milk

Cereal

Eggs

French Toast

Pancakes

Fruit

Orange Juice

The main dining area in Under The Moon

Family Room - You can see across the lake from the comfortable seats.

The Great Room, from where the mountains and the lake can be observed.

Sleeping Details:

Under The Moon has 9 bedrooms and a loft for a total 28 occupancy:

On the upper level there is a loft with a queen sleeper sofa for 2 people
On the main level there is master suite with a king bed for 2 people.
On the upper level there is a master suite with a king for 2
On the upper level there is a master suite with a queen and a daybed with a trundle underneath for 4 people
On the upper level there is a bedroom with a queen bed and a daybed with a trundle underneath for 4 people
On the upper level there is a bedroom with a queen bed and a daybed with a trundle underneath for 4 people

On the lower level there is a master bedroom with a king for 2 people
On the the lower level there is a master bedroom with a king for 2 people
On the the lower level there is a bedroom with a king for 2 people
On the lower level there is a bedroom with a queen for 2 people

There is a double rolloway bed for two people but no private room and it can be placed in one of the bedrooms

We bring all our own food and beverages, as well as paper products such as paper towels and toilet paper.

Parking will be limited, for solely 8 vehicles, so we can park at the real estate office one mile away. Since we are renting Under The Moon from them, they are letting us use the realty office for overflow parking. I am leaving my boat trailer there. The realty office is 1.5 miles away from Under The Moon.

Again, it will be August 31 - September 3, 2012, for $6444 and for 28 vacationers.

Under The Moon is close to the dining areas, restaurants, and shops.

Payments: Some of us who used online payment systems have been scammed. So, to avoid processing fees and scamming issues with third-party entities, please send $250 to me made out to me at the below address. The first 28 people who pay are in. Within 30 days I will let all know if we can do this or not. If yes, I send the payment in; if not, all will get their full amount refunded. The one way it will not work is if the place gets rented by some high roller before we can get it:

Bob Cianflone

821 Brunswick Street

Brunswick, Maryland 21716
A former member
Post #: 24
Great job organizing, Bob. I spent more than a dozen long weekends at DCL over the last 18 months with a group of friends at a lake front house owned by a friend (sadly now sold!), and it is a great place to go with lots of different activities.
Someone mentioned the pizza / microbrew, which is near the Wisp ski resort. Mountain State Brewery is the name of it. http://www.mountainst...­ They have some games to play, and we'd often bring our own to play at the tables, like L-R-C, Apples-to-Apples, Uno.
There's also live music nearly every weekend at the Honi Honi (http://honi-honi.com/...­, and I imagine for Labor Day Weekend it will be quite the happening place. They also have a large patio for dancing, lawn area with games, place to spread out, toss a football, etc. It gets busy early but if you park the pontoon at their private docks early enough, you can get a space and stay all day. Otherwise you can drive and park. There's a Uno Chicago Pizza place right next door.
The hike to Swallow Falls is definitely the best and easiest of them all, no more than 1-1/2 mile in and 1/4 mile out via the service road, with plenty of interesting spots along the way. Falls won't be roaring like they are in the spring or frozen such that you can walk on the top in the winter, but each season offers its own unique view.
There's also ASCI Adventures, which, among other things, has a short man-made river channel for whitewater rafting and kayaking. http://adventuresport...­ Nearby is zip-lining and a mountain coaster.
We enjoyed both power boats for skiing and pontoons for pulling tubes, but pontoons are by far the best party boats. Make sure you have lids for your cups! Boating to the dam and just hanging out with music blasting, swimming, and playing in the water is a great way to relax for a couple hours.
Bob
Washington, DC
Post #: 121
Hey, Dave, how you are doing buddy? Thanks for the suggestion of the board games. I wish we cold stay longer then 4 days and 3 nights! I have been at that eatery you mention, as well as the ice cream shop that Georgette wrote about. I am scared that I am going to spend half the time eating out there......

I appreciate the support and the information about Swallow Lake Falls. That is one place that I have heard so much about but I never visited. This will be the time I do it. On those hikes, we can get anyone to do.

That whitewater area there is really pulling at me, but I would make that a full day excursion. Maybe I can do it after I check out of the villa...... Our large pontoon will be relaxing as a floating base camp and oasis.

Thanks for your great suggestions! Let me know if you come up with any more ideas. I am posting this event tonight.
Bob
Washington, DC
Post #: 122
Ladies and gentlemen - Thank you for all the information and input. This discussion (the most viewed discussion topic that our Meetup group has ever had) has now given birth to the actual event! It is taking place next Labor Day Weekend for 28 people. Less if less pay, but at an equal quality villa....... Godspeed to all.
Bob
Washington, DC
Post #: 123
Folks - Please be advised that I will be booking a villa soon, as they are getting booked up. Only those who have paid are going, even though there are many more who expressed interest. So please send the payment now to get a reservation.
Bob
Washington, DC
Post #: 124
I am reserving a villa this weekend, as well as a big pontoon boat with a high power motor to transport the entire group. Those who submitted payments will get the details.
Bob
Washington, DC
Post #: 125
If anyone else (you don't have to be an organizer) wants to get another villa and assemble a group of people to join us, let me know, and I will provide all the specifics so that one can do it as well. But it must be done very soon, as the lakeside chalets will be all booked up.
Linda
user 33147822
Warrenton, VA
Post #: 1
Bob - I have stayed here many times...there is a wonderful Fall Foliage Festival held in October....last year I stayed at a home right on the lake. There are 2 cabins side-by-side if you thought we could get enough interest; and, they could be rented for our entire group. Each one has 5 bedrooms and 5 1/2 baths. So, 10 rooms....or someone could take a couch.

The place I stayed at last year offered me one free night for a 3-night minimum. Let me know if this interests you at all. It is called Bear Hollow; you can google it in McHenry, Maryland.
Bob
Washington, DC
Post #: 137
Yes, it is beautiful there. We tried to get a second cabin but could not get enough members to fill it completely so that second cabin did not get reserved.
Bob
Washington, DC
Post #: 139
Linda - If you want to try again and get another house with members, you are most welcome to do so. We have one house filled right now......