Over 40 and Kicking It Up Adventure and Social Club Message Board › Deep Creek Lake - Ideas for staying here for a long weekend

Deep Creek Lake - Ideas for staying here for a long weekend

A former member
Post #: 102
Skip the skipper - You've been deputized also with Rocky AKA Georgette...... Thanks!
A former member
Post #: 103
Using the cogent ideas from Georgette and Skip, we may be able to pin down a workable plan for this concept. It would tentatively be a weekend event in the summer, with one day on a big boat, and the other days playing volleyball, shopping, eating, and marine activities.
A former member
Post #: 329
That sounds good to me. SALT
A former member
Post #: 109
Georgette is heading out this way to Deep Creek Lake and she will kindly get us information from the front on what is and is not there. I am leaning towards a large pontoon boat rather than speed boats for these reasons: They each cost the same for the day, and we can get many people on the large boat while only a few can get on the smaller motor boat. Plus, we can have various activities all around the large boat.
A former member
Post #: 26
Swallow Falls State Park - right next to Deep Creek Lake is a very interesting place to go. There are original (ancient) enormous Hemlocks, 53' (granite?) waterfall, other waterfalls, swimming holes and interesting hiking trails.

http://en.wikipedia.o...­

A former member
Post #: 110
Katherine can take folks on a hike tour over to the falls area...... This sounds better and better the more I think about it. It will be a major task to get this idea to fruition, however. We will see how it pans out as we have plenty of time.
A former member
Post #: 334
I would love to see the falls. But maybe Katherine could say how far the hike would be to see them. Almost ready to hike but not far right away.
Bob, could we take a short hike, 1/2 mile for some and longer for others this fall to explore the area?
A former member
Post #: 3
Hi Bob and Everyone Else!
I just returned from three days at Deep Creek Lake with a friend. I have placed in the mail to Bob several Rental Booklets for houses, both lakefront and otherwise in the DCL area (includes complete listings with amenities, prices, number of persons a place accommodates, etc.). Also, a Menu Guide for restaurants in the DCL area.

Hiking at Swallow Falls is an EASY hike that anyone can do. My friend and I hiked all along the river within the Park and saw some thrilling sites watching expert kayakers paddling through some big time rapids. We even got some photos which we will post if anyone is interested. So, hiking Swallow Falls is no big deal. There are huge rocks along the hike you can rest on in the sunshine.

DCL State Park has a sandy beach; there is also hiking at New Germany State Park but this park is further away, hikes are much longer and not anywhere near as beautiful as Swallow Falls (but a great place to x-country ski). Bill's Marina rents all kinds of boats, etc. Best place to shop by far = School House Earth. I will happily lead a trip there for anyone who is interested. They have great silver jewelry! It's more dangerous to go to School House Earth than it is to hike Swallow Falls! Best ICE CREAM in the world = Lakeside Creamery. OMG! I think we went there everyday we were at DCL! And it was on the chilly side all week (not true ice cream weather, but there really isn't a bad time for ice cream!)

Bob: There are two lakefront rentals in one of the brochures I mailed you that I wanted to point out to you. These two houses are side by side - one accommodates, I believe, 24 people and the one next door accommodates 12 more. Both houses look beautiful with hot tubs and other good stuff. Carpooling should be strongly encouraged because each house accommodates only so many cars.

Hope this info helps.
Rocky
A former member
Post #: 111
Rocky - Thank you immensely for the great materials you sent me. Those houses are beautiful! They have all the amenities of a high-grade hotel. And the menu guide makes me want to head out now and eat at every one of those locations. Yes, we will work on the parking logistics in time......

In the above Photos tab, you can post pictures of your recent trip there if you desire, as it will help us visualize the area. Or you can place them in the Files section as well. The former can be done as an album, while the latter can be done only one at a time. This has been done before for our hikes and it assists in the planning of the event.

You can definitely be the trip leader for the jewelry store adventure! I would like to join the kayakers......

We can do hikes, and your suggestion of Swallow Falls is excellent.

I am going to my local coffee shop today, spreading all this information out on a big table, and studying it.

I am thinking of getting a large 90HP pontoon, rather than a small motor boat. While the former is not as fast, we can get many people on it and use it as a floating base camp for tubers or paddlers or swimmers. I have to research this more. And, yes, I agree with what you say about Bill's Marina.

The best part is that we have a good length of time to plan this. And, once we confer and decide, we will use prepayment for those who are interested so that we definitely have the funds.

Thanks again for all your hard work - even while you were at the Lakeside Creamery, busily researching the favorite ice cream flavors in that ice cream store...... That sounded like hard work, but I am glad that you met the challenge head-on and you were successful!

Thanks again. - Bob
A former member
Post #: 112
The idea of two cabins next to one another is great. Here is another idea to think about......

I looked at the most luxurious, largest, fanciest lakefront vacation lodge in the wonderful materials from Rocky's package. I am staring at the "Under The Moon" resort. This is the Cadillac of the resorts. It accommodates 28 people. It has an incredible panoramic view of the lake. Here is the web site of it:

http://rentals.deepcr...­

Summer availability is currently August 18-20 (Saturday to Monday), and the summer is almost all booked already!

It has a sauna, eight bathrooms, nine bedrooms, a private indoor swimming pool, arcade games as well as a billiards table in the game room, two fireplaces, three hot tubs, a juke box, a volleyball court on a sanded pit, high speed Internet, and many more amenities. And it is on the lake.

The total cost of $4,560 divided by 28 would be: $163 per person. But this is for the best facility there, one that would be prohibitively expensive for one person but as a group we could do it.

The pontoons fit 13 people (90 HP) and the daily rental is $450 and we can take several trips so all would get on it.

Let me know your cogent thoughts......