Over 40 and Kicking It Up Adventure and Social Club Message Board › Deep Creek Lake - Ideas for staying here for a long weekend

Deep Creek Lake - Ideas for staying here for a long weekend

A former member
Post #: 4
"Under the Moon" would be perfect. When looking at the photos of this lakefront house, I did not see any single beds so I'm assuming women would share bedrooms and the same for the guys. This is an issue we would have anywhere; we'll deal with it! Do you expect five couples to sleep in the five master bedrooms? We might get better sleeping arrangements if we go with two separate houses next to each other, like the two I pointed out to you. But then, logistics of planning activities would be somewhat difficult. Under the Moon is definitely a beautiful place with tons of amenities. I am playing devil's advocate here.

Oh - I want to go kayaking AND shopping! I want to do it all!

We should get together and discuss this along with anyone else who is interested in helping to plan; sooner than later because I know these places book up quickly.

I am uploading some photos from DLC.

Rocky
A former member
Post #: 113
Rocky - You are absolutely correct about our being able to get more expanded sleeping arrangements as well as parking if we get two houses next to one another. I still can't get over the indoor swimming pool and several hot tubs as well as several fireplaces. This is no rustic cabin! Our personal five star hotel on Maryland's biggest lake. That part about seeing the entire lake from the "cabin" is amazing. And my calling this a cabin is like calling the Waldorf a motel......

I honestly have not thought about the specifics of the sleeping arrangements yet. Based on my own experience, in the activities I have led, I get many single people and some couples. Whatever is decided, however, would be equitable. Personally, I plan to be kayaking and on the motor boat and in the indoor swimming pool and on our personal sanded volleyball court and in our hot tubs...... So my time in the sleeping quarters would be absolutely minimal. With all this place has to offer, I want to take advantage of it as much as possible.

If we give up the panoramic view of the lake, we can move farther back and pay less. But splitting the cost among so many, we can afford a lot.

Last time I went there, I had a glow-in-the-dark volleyball and I played through the night. We invited folks from other cabins and we actually had an article about us in the local newspaper...... And, after the marathon game, we went out on our boat at dawn. And then I hit the Italian restaurants to make up for it. Although we will have a modern kitchen to make meals for many, I want to be outside as much as possible, so everyone would be on their own for food - the last thing I want to do is stay in the kitchen when we have a boat and all these other wonderful amenities at this world-class resort.

I am going kayaking now, and will return to this idea. We have to talk about how payments would be made. And, yes, we have to do this soon as the area will be booked up for next summer in the near future.
A former member
Post #: 114
Here are some basic facts for those unfamiliar with Maryland's largest lake:
http://www.bing.com/i...­
A former member
Post #: 5
Bob,
I'm with you regarding Under the Moon. The amenities available are incredible and the cost is unbeatable for a lakefront house like this one. Everyone who signs on for this will have to decide who they want to share a room with and go from there (if Hugh Jackman is going, I'll share my room with him!).

Regarding meals, the only meal I would encourage our large group participate together in would be breakfast. There are not a lot of breakfast places at DCL. Having breakfast out every morning would be very time consuming. I would gladly make a list of groceries our large group would need for three breakfasts and suggest that when people RSVP they are coming up to DCL for this, they have to sign up for a breakfast item from the list at the same time. Our other meals are readily available at many restaurants around the immediate area and everyone can venture off when they want lunch; we could organize dinners out as a group. Everyone can bring their own beverages and snacks.

This is going to be such fun! I have no idea how payments would work. Would they go through meetup, or would you have everyone directly mail you a deposit check and then final payment when due?

Rocky
A former member
Post #: 115
Rocky - I don't eat breakfast; I just have coffee. But if you want to be the morning food queen, go right ahead! You can bring my coffee to me in the middle of the lake, but don't make a wake and capsize me......

The most important part of this event will be paying the $200. As much as I don't like to set up electronic payments, as I am old school, I am going to have to go that route. Once we get enough payments, that is it. If it is electronic, then it is done right there.

And I know what is going to happen: Once we get 28, there will be others begging to go......

I can only monitor one abode. If we have two, then you will have to be the Den Mother over there......

And what is great about the mega-luxury abode is that if inclement weather takes place, we have an indoor pool, an arcade room, hot tubs, fire places, and we can still have a great time even if severe weather takes place that would cancel any lake activities (such as serious thunderstorms).

I will do a draft write-up and share it with you tomorrow after I talk with the real estate folks out there.
A former member
Post #: 116
I will put all this information in a sensible write-up tomorrow...... Here is the link to Swallow Falls:
http://www.dnr.state....­
A former member
Post #: 6
Bob,
Yes, logistically speaking one place would certainly be easier to manage. LOL - the way I paddle your coffee would be iced by the time I got out to the middle of the lake! Yes, I have noticed how no one initially signs on for activities and then there appears a long wait list.
Thanks for coming up with this great idea.
Rocky
A former member
Post #: 117
I am on the phone now with the real estate agents and the pontoon owners. I will get more details together and put it in a narrative that makes sense as soon as I get more facts to assist you in seeing what it is all about. And I will have a backup plan if our dream house gets booked up......
A former member
Post #: 118
We may make you a pontoon captain as well...... That way you can bring coffee to us on the lake. I am still working on this.
A former member
Post #: 119
Julie, our group's goddess, using her divine omniscient and all-knowing powers, has come down from the heavens and has volunteered to help us with the tasks to make this activity a reality. I am still on the phone with the realty folks there. And also with a boa rental outfit. This is going to be the mother of all events if I can get it together...... I will definitely do a draft write-up by the end of the day today.