addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Oxford On Board Message Board › Oxcon alternative

Oxcon alternative

Jacco
JoaG
Crewe, GB
Post #: 146
Hi all,

Seeing how the 'famous' boardgaming convention in Oxford, Oxcon, seems to be mostly getting by on it's reputation and general inertia, I have been toying with the idea of starting up an alternative. Something in a better location, better organised, better advertised. It's still very much in the planning stages yet, as I need to have a look around at suitable locations, get some idea of the costs of running such a thing, and most of all, gauging interest.

So I thought I'd start here with the latter. Would people be interested in an all weekend gaming event, with maybe a tournament or two (games to be decided on yet, but I'm thinking Tichu for one) thrown in?
michael m.
user 10806425
Didcot, GB
Post #: 4
it migth be fun but I am not sure what I am going to be doing but as we see oxford dose seam to have a large group of board gamers
Rufus
rufusfrog
Oxford, GB
Post #: 4
Yes, definitely. The lack of publicity for OxCon has become a running joke.

Rumours abound (e.g here: https://www.facebook....­ that it is happening next weekend, 19-20 Jan in the Mitre function room, 10:00? till late, with a puerto rico tournament on Saturday and Settlers on Sunday (both start at 11:00). But there's still no 'official' notice that I can find.

With regard to venue, the oxford comics convention (Caption) uses the East Oxford Community Centre on Cowley Road so it may be worth checking out. (They used to use the Union, which was surprisingly cheap to hire in uni holidays for a while, but I think it became less so which is why they moved).
Terry O.
user 12113117
Oxford, GB
Post #: 30
I think it's a great idea Jack! If you advertised to the various clubs you would surely get a good turn out. I've found that people don't seem to use the Oxford on Board forum much and it's hard to get discussion going here.
A former member
Post #: 2
Yeah, I think it would be great! I'd definitely want to go.
Nick S.
user 14589214
Amsterdam, NL
Post #: 3
I think it's a great idea.

One suggestion that I have is maybe do it outside Oxford, hire a cottage and have people stay over? We used to do such a thing with a previous group I played with. Played into the dead of night, made a brisk morning stroll and then back to gaming! Great fun. Anyway, just an idea.

By the way, no matter where you hold it, I'd be willing to help 'organize' it.

Best,
Nick