PASSAGES - Hawaii Message Board PASSAGES - Hawaii Discussion Forum › Joseph Campbell quotes

Joseph Campbell quotes

Richard
Dickison
Group Organizer
Kapolei, HI
Post #: 30
Every religion is true one way or another. It is true when understood metaphorically. But when it gets stuck in its own metaphors, interpreting them as facts, then you are in trouble.

God is a metaphor for that which transcends all levels of intellectual thought. It's as simple as that.

I don't have to have faith, I have experience.

Find a place inside where there's joy, and the joy will burn out the pain.

Follow your bliss and the universe will open doors where there were only walls.

I don't believe people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive.

The goal of life is to make your heartbeat match the beat of the universe, to match your nature with Nature.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Life is without meaning. You bring the meaning to it. The meaning of life is whatever you ascribe it to be. Being alive is the meaning.

It is by going down into the abyss that we recover the treasures of life. Where you stumble, there lies your treasure.

Myths are public dreams, dreams are private myths.

Opportunities to find deeper powers within ourselves come when life seems most challenging.

The big question is whether you are going to be able to say a hearty yes to your adventure.

The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.
Michael Y.
user 44089132
Honolulu, HI
Post #: 1

Aloha Richard,

I'm very comfortable with most of what J Campbell said in these verses. I am, however, not ready to accept God as a metaphor. She's much more than that, to me. God doesn't need to be identified anthropomorphically, as a human identity. But I believe there is a power greater than anything in the material, measurable world. Just one more opinion about the existence and efficacy of faith.

Thank you for all that you share.

Mahalo and aloha,

Michael
Richard
Dickison
Group Organizer
Kapolei, HI
Post #: 44
You BELIEVE there is a power. Do you think you can KNOW, to personally experience, investigate, experience it?

Because the word 'god' has so much baggage, I think what Campbell is saying is that the baggage is the metaphor. Dump the baggage.

There is a Taoist maxim that states: He who says he knows, knows not. He who says he knows not, knows.

I think this may be referring to knowing the BIG PICTURE. But I think there is an intermediate step of knowing that a BIG PICTURE exists, which is what I'm referring to in the first statement. So, rephrasing my question, do you BELIEVE in a BIG PICTURE or do you BELIEVE you know what that BIG PICTURE is?

Thomas Campbell's My Big TOE (not Joseph Campbell) describes a theory that shows there is a BIG PICTURE and describes the limitations of what we can know about that. I think his theory is amenable to both theists and atheists alike. Theists can read it and, without giving up their beliefs, get a more comprehensive understanding of their religion, become more accepting of other religious viewpoints. It's sort of like the evolution of thought from Newton to Einstein. Newton's ideas weren't wrong, they were just incomplete, as will Einstein's view eventually become. So My Big TOE is like Einstein's refinement of Newton, except My Big TOE is a refinement of Einstein, Quantum Mechanics, Christianity, Mohammedanism, Hinduism, Sikhism, etc. One didn't need to give up Newton's ideas to accept Einstein as one doesn't need to give up whatever viewpoint you have now to accept My Big TOE as a viable theory.