Pasadena Area Screenwriting Group Message Board › Looking for a Screenwriting class...send recs please!

Looking for a Screenwriting class...send recs please!

Sarah
user 8272641
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 4
Hi everyone,
I'm a rookie to the screenwriting field and would like recommendations on any screenwriting classes or courses that you think are good for beginners like me...class can be online, book, or campus...thank you!
Sarah
Chris R.
chrisrafferty
Canoga Park, CA
Post #: 3
Hi Sarah!

There are way too many books out there on screenwriting, but my favorite to recommend beginners is THE SCREENWRITER'S BIBLE by Trottier. It's equal parts Writing, Formatting and Selling. It's also the size of a screenplay, so the script pages it includes get you real comfortable with the format.

When you're ready to get deeper into structure & characters, I like THE WRITER'S JOURNEY by Vogler.
And if interested in theory, STORY by McKee is fun.

-Chris

PS. Don't fall for quick courses. Seminars. Anything that promises you secrets and charges you money. LA preys upon writers looking to skip the work and go directly to "sell" by dishing out dollars. It doesn't work. Starting out, you need to read, write, study, write, analyze, write, share, write, listen, write and, uh, write some more.
Claire N.
user 6213799
Group Organizer
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 63
I found "Save the Cat" by Blake Snyder very good, partly because it has a nice 'beat sheet' that can be helpful for (a) outlining and (b) [perhaps even more useful] figuring out where your 1st draft's structure went wrong, and partly because it doesn't have SO much information that you feel deluged by new ideas by halfway through ;}

Claire.

BTW - I *completely* agree with Chris's postscript. In my opinion, the good seminars can be thought-provoking, stimulate new ideas and inform you about new tools to use when trying to write and rewrite your scripts, BUT ultimately we all operate differently, and different things work for each of us in terms of tricks and techniques, and *NONE* of them will write your script for you. The best (perhaps only) way to improve on that is by writing (... and rewriting... and rewriting....).
Frank S.
user 59829012
La Crescenta, CA
Post #: 1
Check out Corey Mandell - he has a website. Cool guy, sharp and teaches you to avoid formula. I had a class with him last year at the Writer's Store - inspirational.
A former member
Post #: 8
Try a community college. Los Angeles City College, or Valley College (where I went) has semester long screenwriting classes. Registration fee was $50 and each credit hour is $40. So a 3 credit hour class costs $ 170. It's a good bargain, IMO.