PDXElectroHax Message Board General Discussion › In Planning

In Planning

A former member
Hi Everyone,

We've been talking about doing another session soon, the holidays and job changes have had me unavailable to make and concrete plans. We have been thinking about doing a serial communications day covering I2C and SPI interfaces since most sensor packages require one or the other. I'd like to get some feedback from people on what they'd like to do, especially if we have anyone interested in presenting.

Enjoy the sun this weekend.

Chris
Jason
user 70325652
Portland, OR
Post #: 1
I'm trying to hack a laser rangefinder so I can mess around with adaptive braking for cars or long distance object recognition for robots or UAV's. The output from the sensor goes to an LCD projection inside the eye piece which I assume is a serial connection. I don't know enough about the different serial communications types to try and intercept the signal and use it so I would really be interested in this. I wouldn't be qualified to present this topic but I could help with the presentation material if necessary.

Jason
A former member
Post #: 2
Given the interest so far, and the prevalence of serial communication busees in embedded designs, I think this is a good topic. I can certainly present on this, I have a ton of experience working with SPI and I2C devices.

Given the relatively high complexity of the two busses, I think we will want to split this into 2 labs. First, we should have an I2C lab using two devices. Temperature and air pressure sensors are good candidates for I2C. This will give us plenty of time for explanation and experimentation.

For the second lab we can work with a SPI device. Something like a SPI->RS232 converter (particularly useful for adding an extra serial port to an Arduino) would make a good lab topic as SPI devices tend to require more configuraiton than I2C, so we will need more lab time to get them operating.

Cory
Patrick
user 14045621
Hillsboro, OR
Post #: 1
I back this idea, I have heard some interesting things about SPI, I'm also curious about learning more about the different manufacturers, and what sort of miniaturization they use for microcontrollers. I suppose a focus being on freelance-friendly microcontrollers.