addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

French Bulldogs on the Peninsula Meetup Message Board › My baby is SUPER itchy

My baby is SUPER itchy

A former member
Post #: 1
Hello All !
Im brand new too the group ! Im currently fostering a french bulldog (Baby) she's the most amazing girl BUT has horrible skin issues, shes super itchy all the time / all over her body (paws, abdomen, legs etc) .... We have had her for a few months now and have been into my vet 12-13 times (having skin scrapes done, trying different meds ) were now fund raising to get her into a dermatologist BUT until then I would like to chat with french parents and see if anyone has had similar issues with there french ? any advice on how to keep her comfortable for the time being ? We have her on flea meds, a good food (taste of the wild?) we have tried zyrtec & Benadryl with no results. Any and ALL suggestions are SO appreciated !! Thanks SO much !

Amanda

Ubie
user 37213752
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 1
This is kind of late, but have you tested her to see if she's allergic to grains? Frenchies are known to have allergies to grains. Sorry I don't know that brand of food. I hope you figure(d) it out.
Fog City B.
fogcitybulldogs
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 12
ACK! I'm SO sorry to be joining this discussion so late, and I know how frustrating undiagnosed allergies can be. I'm not sure which 'Taste of the Wild' you're on, but as a general rule, french bulldogs are red meat dogs. So, a venison or bison based food may work better than a fish based one. If you want to try a hypoallergenic food, a lot of French bulldogs have good luck with Science Diet Potato and Venison.

That said, based on your description of her itching (paws, legs, etc.) it sounds like Baby might have external allergies, rather than food-based ones. By any chance is she exposed to feathers? Down comforters or pillows? Along with the idea that bulldogs are red meat dogs, many of them don't sit well with anything related to feathers (they shouldn't eat chicken or sleep on down). We think our puppy is allergic to down and while we've not completely eradicated all of her symptoms, removing the down from our bedding has helped considerably.

Again, I am so sorry I didn't see this months ago. I hope Baby is feeling better.
Carol Carrillo & C...
cyberita
Saratoga, CA
Post #: 27
I would also try a raw diet consisting of beef, broccoli, pumpkin/sweet potatoes, flax oil, and doggy vitamins and minerals. The trick is to freeze the beef for about a week then defrost and use your food processor to mix up the ingredients. There's a good raw recipe in Dr. Pitcairn's book. I agree with Susan about not feeding poultry to a Frenchie. Taste of the Wild makes a couple of grain-free recipes (Taste of the Prairie and the fish one). I've had the best luck with EVO Red Meat Small Bites. I mix the EVO with some of the raw for the best of both worlds. My four Frenchies are itch-less where my mommy dog used to lick her paws when I feed her the poultry-based EVO Small Bites.