addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Philadelphia Robotics Group Message Board › Philly Robotics August 2011 Meetup - Thursday Aug 11, 7:30 PM

Philly Robotics August 2011 Meetup - Thursday Aug 11, 7:30 PM

Roy B
user 4594812
Group Organizer
Philadelphia, PA
If you've never been to the Hive before, let me know and I'll tell you what you need to know to get in.

August Meetup Agenda (­)

- Welcome new members/visitors

- Club business / Discuss ways to promote and grow the club

- Current Projects
-- Unmanned Aerial Robots - quadrotors and airplanes

-- Balancing Bot project(?)

-- Let us know if you have any other projects you want to demo or discuss

- Upcoming Events
Next Fab Studio tour (http://www.nextfabstu...­)
They limit group tours to 15 people.
If we plan ahead, they may be able to accommodate us during any of their open hours.
General Member Hours:4pm-8pm Monday – Friday; 10am-8pm Saturday and Sunday

Hope to see you at the meetup!
A former member
Post #: 3
It was interesting to see the projects that some of the group members were working on. I thought the quad copter was pretty cool.
We talked about some ideas on in-meeting projects. I think the idea of having a in-meeting project is great. It seems that most folks were trained/training as engineers and so these things could be more advanced. I also liked the idea of having these little in-meeting projects come together to form something greater, where each person does a separate pare and at the end of 30 minutes they are pieced together to form the whole, or each does the same/similar part and over a few meetings create several different project bots. This kind of thing takes planning and time which may be difficult to do.. but it's not impossible.

I think there needs to be refreshments. Food and drink are another incentive that attracts people. snacks and beer? It doesn't have to be much and a few bucks from each person would cover a couple bags of some type of chip and a 12-pack. It may help folks relax more and stave off hunger.
Just some ideas after doing the meeting survey.
Roy B
user 4594812
Group Organizer
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 23
Good points, Craig. Thanks for posting them.

We have ordered pizza in the past, and sometimes people have brought snacks with them. We've also (on rare occasions) met at a place that serves food. As long as the Hive is cool with adult beverages, I don't mind. We'll have something in place for the next meetup.

- Roy
Nelson B.
user 9487903
Egg Harbor City, NJ
Post #: 7
I'd be all about doing it potluck style. Maybe pass a sheet around or link to one of those ready-made websites with "check it off if your bringing it"?
Nelson B.
user 9487903
Egg Harbor City, NJ
Post #: 8
Also, see an e-mail I sent out just recently on the in-meeting project idea:

Hello All,

So based on Glen's recommendation of creating a sumo robot, I have some questions about what everyone feels would be a good starter kit. Note that if we don't want to go by a kit, then we should put together a bill of materials. My _strong_ sense is that we should go buy something readily available and experiment/ modify a currently existing template. We could take the list of parts from one kit, and purchase from individual suppliers based on that list but I have a feeling that it would just be easier to purchase a kit in it's entirety.

Here are something that I found online:

- http://www.parallax.c...­

I'm sure that there are more. We have some choices as to budget. I'd like to keep it to $100. The reason for that is I (or anyone else who feels so inclined) could buy one kit on the condition that the group collectively purchases another. The person that purchased the kit can make a small how to guide with photos/reference material/code, then as a group we can come up with variations on what was done. Finally, we can re-enact and perform those tasks at the next meeting. Having one completed kit would also give us an idea of steps that should be done "ahead of time", such as soldering smd components or having skeleton code already written.

Does anyone have any input?

A former member
Post #: 4
A preplanned kit would be easiest for all I think. The sumobot may be a good choice. The link didn't work for me.