addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Philadelphia Robotics Group Message Board › June 2013 Robotics Meetup Summary

June 2013 Robotics Meetup Summary

Roy B
user 4594812
Group Organizer
Philadelphia, PA
First of all, I'd like to welcome the new members, and I'd like to especially thank the new members who attended the recent meetups.
For the benefit of the new folks, and for others who were not aware, I will try to send monthly meetup summaries and other announcements to the mailing list. If you'd rather not get these emails, just remove yourself from the mailing list. I will also be posting the summaries and other items to the message board. Other members will also use the message board to ask questions or announce ideas and projects, so its good idea to check the board periodically.
We didn't have any explicit demos or presentations scheduled for the June meetup. I hope to get at least a few commitments from folks at every meetup to have something prepared for the next meetup to keep the meeting focused. Here is a summary of some of the projects and ideas that I heard about:
- Mike discussed his idea to harness the power that creates tornadoes (involving temperature and electrical charge gradients) to build a motor
- John discussed his 3D printers, one of which he demoed during the July meeting
- Leon discussed his concept for a Raspberry Pi bus protocol to allow for easier communication with USB devices, and some nice robotic parts he scored on EBay. He gave us more information on both for these topics at the July meeting.
- Glen showed his concept for low-power wireless sensors. Connected to an AVR processor (the Arduino family uses similar chips), the system can wake up periodically, transmit its data (room temperature readings, for example) to a ground station/computer, then go back to "sleep". This allows for extremely long battery life.
- Michael mentioned that NextFab had its own robotics group and was working on a city-wide robotics competition that would be open to all skill levels and ages. I will let you know more about this as I find out the details (there is some more info on the message board).
Let me know if there was anything else I missed
Finally, here are some links:
A Manayunk dry cleaner that delivers – via quadrotor: http://www.suasnews.c...­
A robotic acrobot sticks the landing: http://www.youtube.co...­
(for those who read my earlier email (and/or care about such things), both the quadrotor and the acrobatic robot are examples of underactuated robots – ok this quad is not really a robot; its radio controlled, but its still underactuated)
- Roy