Philadelphia Robotics Group Message Board › Aug 13 2009 meetup summary

Aug 13 2009 meetup summary

Roy B
user 4594812
Group Organizer
Philadelphia, PA
I'd like to thank Daniel, Mike, Nelson, Earl, and of course Kath for coming to our first "official" meetup (not counting the Abington robot contests). Our next meetup will be on a Thursday about a month from now at the Hive76 space (9th and Spring Garden). Stay tuned for details.

Daniel talked about the Hive 76 group and some of the robotics projects going on there, including a robot with a vision system, and a makerbot 3D printer. He's also interested in the Irobot Create (and the Roomba that it is based on). I do plan to check out the Hive76 open house next Wednesday and will probably become a member.http://www.hive76.org...­

Mike talked about his solar tracker project, a version of which he had running on his Commodore 64!. I think the group gave him some good ideas, but I'm sure he'll welcome more. His concept is to use lat long & time of day to compute where the sun is.

Nelson talked about AVR, Arduinos, ordering custom PC boards via sparkfun (and assembling them himself), and a frequency generator project. Nelson is interested in partnering up with someone on a project. He's also interested in some tutorials on Control Theory, which I do have an interest in providing.

I discussed my nascent quadrotor project. I will put a PDF version of the slides in the Meetup files section. Don't forget to check out the Robot Links file while you're there (and don't hesitate to add your favorite robotics links). We also talked about several electronics & robotics magazines (Nuts & Volts, Servo, Robot, Circuit Cellar, and Elektor).

(I wasn't taking notes, guys, so if I've left anything out that you want to share, please let me know.)

If there's any robotics or electronics project you want to demo, or want to share your progress with us, or need help with, let us know.

See you at the next meetup!
Roy