addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo
A former member
Post #: 3
I wanted to give an opinion about how your group should be. I'm not your typical anime fan. So, if this sounds strange, just bear with me as you read. I've tried a number of anime groups and haven't found any I liked. The major reason why is that the social aspect of the group wasn't there. Some anime groups think that just screening anime is enough to make them complete. Now, while I agree that anime screenings are a fundamental activity, it's not a social activity. I'm not bonding with anyone else by looking at a screen.

The point of us coming together as a group is to share our interest. If we don't share that interest by talking with each other, to me, it's like a bunch of people bumming out. So, my point is that we have activities where we can get to know the other members of the group. You started this group off by having a get together at Starbucks, which to me shows that you have a desire to learn about the other members. I would just like that concept to continue.

I posted this up on the forums, rather than send you an email, so that others besides yourself could add to this post. Again, this is all just my opinion.
james s.
user 9412371
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 1
a chance to talk with other members is always a good way to keep the group going strong
A former member
Post #: 3
hey, Warren :) post some stuff in the forum. It may not be a social outing, but myself and others would love hearing about your interests. I'm kinda new to this meet up thing, so getting to learn about people before hand would help me.
A former member
Post #: 1
Sorry it took me so long to post something about this. I like what you said. I want this group to be more then just sitting there and just watching anime. I want this group to give people a chance to make new friends. Also for poeple who are kind of new to anime to learn more about it. To chat, to disscuss current and upcoming anime. I have vacation time coming to me very soon. I plan on setting up a Meetup just like the Starbucks meetup. Just keep checking the site and I should have something up soon!
A former member
Post #: 4
Here's the thing Christine. I haven't actually figured out myself, specifically, what would make an anime group successful (my view of successful that is). I guess I'll give an example of what could work. I actually host activities for another meetup group and I run 2 events a week (sometimes 3). It's a sports group that has volleyball as a core activity.

We all go there because we have some reason that we want to play volleyball. So, most of us can go there and be satisfied with that activity on it's own (for the most part). As people come again and again, they start meeting other regulars and they eventually develop a community of friends. That's not what the group was like when it first started out, but over time it grew in size and is now, probably, the largest meetup group in PA.

So, perhaps we should adopt that concept? Lets have an activity(s) that brings the people out. Overtime, the community will grow and become more familiar with each other. I think we will need several activities as I can't think of any specific one that can be repeatedly done to take up the whole event time. This is where group input is needed. What do you guys and gals think that we could do. Having a brunch now and then is cool, but being social alone (I believe) will not turn this group into what I'm suggesting.

It's like a LAN gaming store that opens up and expects to make business just because they're open. They won't make much business unless they have activities planned like leagues, tournaments and open play. I may come up with some ideas later, but that's what I got for the moment.
Jason R.
user 11686458
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 4
Creating a place for everyone to go and make new friends sounds like my J1 AN-EXs. I hold them EVERY month trying to get anime fans (and beyond) to come together and have a good time.
Things provided:
- anime to watch
- video games to play
- card games to play
- meeting new people
- raffles
- cosplay
Overall, I want a social haven for all otaku. Read our review that we have for the review of J1 AN-EX 3. www.j1studios.com
A former member
Post #: 5
Hey guys, I thought of one more thing to say. There's a common concept that I partake in when I'm in groups that share an interest I have. For example I like volleyball and I like tabletop Dungeons & Dragons. Both of these activities require me to interact with other people. When it comes to volleyball, it might be as simple as saying "I got it" or "insert the blanks" name to who your passing the ball. You can't talk much during play, but you can between serves.

In D&D, you role play the character you build. Most of the talk is "in game," but it's not restricted to in game. You still learn about other people even though there not acting like there usual selves. Then you get to talk during the few breaks you get (as a session of D&D can be several ours long).

I got an idea in my mind as an example of what we could do that would be similar to this. I'm sorry if this sounds lame, but here I go. We, at one of these events, could have an activity where we select an anime character from a series we know and describe to the group how this character represents ourselves. By doing so, not only are we sharing our interest of anime; but we're also sharing information about ourselves. In that way, we are getting interaction.

I guess "interaction" is the key word I'm trying to bring forth here. I started this discussion because I wanted to make this point; but at the same time, I really didn't have an answer of how to do that. My passion for anime is simply watching it. I'm not into cosplay, conventions, screenings, manga or video gaming. So, I guess that makes it a little challenging for me.

Anyways, these are my final thoughts I'm going to share; unless someone else wants to add to this discussion. I was trying to make the group more compatible for me personally, but that may not be what's best for the group as a majority.