addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Photographic Lighting Workshops Message Board › Feb 11, 2012 Outdoor Lighting Workshop Update

Feb 11, 2012 Outdoor Lighting Workshop Update

David L.
user 4576158
Group Organizer
Chandler, AZ
Hello Photographers of the Outdoor Lighting Workshops,

I wanted to provide you with a few guidelines for our Feb 11, 2012 Outdoor Lighting Workshop.

Please read each paragraph to better understand what we will be doing.

Models:

I will be bringing two to three Models to assist you with seeing the light that we learn to find or create. While it is not required, tipping the models for their hard work at the end of the day, I am sure will be greatly appreciated.

Teams:

We will be assigning and working in teams and rotating with the models. Our models are professionally experienced and are familiar with posing and very photogenic.

Workshop Series:

This is a first in a series of Lighting Workshops to be offered throughout the year. I will endeavor to answer questions relating to photography and equipment, however, the focus will be on learning to see and augment light.

Light:

Our scenario will be to create planes of light and dimension in depth. I will show you some very easy techniques that will change the way you look at and see things. You may very well want to attend several of the workshops, as you will see more each time.

Summer Months:

As we move into the summer months, we will conduct the workshops indoors using window light and small strobes.

All of the photography, outfits, posing and language will be PG13.

Active Demonstrations:

I will demonstrate each lighting setup and then you as teams of three or four will work together to recreate a similar lighting, using reflectors, diffusers and small portable Speed Lights. I will observe what you are doing and provide guidance and direction as needed to create a great learning experience for you.

Lighting Areas:

Depending on the specific area that we are in and at what time of day, we may only have space for one lighting setup at a time and therefore will rotate throughout it in teams.

Side shooting is OK, however, you will get more for the workshop by focusing on what we are doing.

We may set up three lighting areas close by with different setups depending on how we need to work with the light at that set for the best results. Even when the light is primarily from the sky, we will still be interested in the direction of light as it filters through the environment.

Important:

I will be bringing some lighting tools, however, I encourage you each to bring your camera and one or two lenses, a reflector, diffuser and a small battery operated strobe and a pocket wizard or other radio strobe trigger. It is quite alright if you don't have all of these items, as we will be working in teams.

Lightweight Please:

Please do not bring studio lights or light stands or reflector stands. We will work as photographer and assistants. That is, team members will assist each other by holding reflectors, diffusers and triggered Speed Lights, being human light stands so to speak. This will allow us to be very mobile and learn how to position the lighting tools, based on our backgrounds and position of the models.

There will be plenty of opportunity to get some really wonderful images as we will have short demonstrations, keyed to set the best conditions for you to shoot in. Differences that will make your photographs stand out and look professional.

Natural Light:

We will be looking for natural light as the day progresses and discovering how to augment it.

Speed Lights:

As the day progresses, we will be using our strobes as fill and as the main light. You may being small umbrellas, or soft boxes as long as you can carry them with you easily. Opt for lightweight.

Food and Water:

Please bring a lunch or snacks as well as plenty of water. Keep the grounds clean and be thoughtful not to be treading on grass or other plants. Be respectful of the Park.

Parking:

I suggest parking at the area closest to N 75th Street and E 1st Ave. Enter from N 75th Street and Main Street Entrance. We will be a little north of the famous LOVE sign.

Look forward to a great day of learning and some amazing photographs.