Photography Classes and Workshops - All Levels Message Board › Flickr is selling your photos

Flickr is selling your photos

Jeffery L.
user 3795604
Group Organizer
Felton, CA
Post #: 70
Flickr just had an open sale of any and all photos on their site. According to many legal experts, this is the biggest violation of copyrights in world history. Almost 1 billion images were put up for sale and none of them were owned by Flickr, even though Flickr conducted the sale.

The details can be found on the link posted below.

There has been much discussion by members of this and other Meet Up sites about the danger of losing control of your photos by posting them on Flickr or other publicly accessed sites. Some members have acknowledged the dangers, some don't care, and one or two have gotten angry at anyone that 'diss'd' Flickr.

Everyone should know that their photos are up for grabs when they post them on the internet, regardless of what copyright info they put onto the photo. However, no company has conducted a public sale of photos except Flickr. Furthermore, if photographers fail to win a claim against Flickr, their photos fall into the public domain and can never be copyrighted.

How many photographers have won claims against Flickr? NONE. A group of photographers from the PPA in Boston sued Flickr last year, but was scared off when they spent $4,500. just to get the issue heard in court. The judge said that the losing party would have to bare all legal and court costs, which is normal for copyright suits. The Boston PPA was advised that they could be facing fees of $300,000. or more if they lost. Moreover, their attorney advised them that they would certainly lose after he read Flickr's contract with its members. End of challenge.

As long as you know you're donating your photos to the public, Flickr is a fun way to share photos. But if you care about protecting your work, you shouldn't post anything on Flickr, or any other publicly accessed site. If you still want to post photos, you should consider uploading very small files and putting a watermark across the image.

I still use Flickr for my family and fun pictures, but since seeing one of my shots on a commercial website, I never post any work related content.

Check out this link: http://www.jmg-galler...­

Jeffery Luhn
April K.
user 10490609
Santa Cruz, CA
Post #: 1
So now I know how my pictures showed up on a realtor's ad. He said it was his and he took it but it had the same black bag in the shot as mine was and the same bird in the same spot as mine.