Photography in Berlin Message Board › IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ - Berliner Eisfabrik - MEETUP CANCELLED!!!

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ - Berliner Eisfabrik - MEETUP CANCELLED!!!

A former member
Post #: 4
Thanks for your clarification, Marcia
Yes, I totally agree with you about liability. What I was saying was just wishful thinking, how I wish things were, but I am aware in reality things are quite different, even in Berlin :)
By the way, the meet-up for Berliner Eisfabrik was fun and it all went well (also, very easy to get in).
Cheers
Serban
Beth J.
user 9665626
Group Organizer
Melbourne, AU
Post #: 6
Hi Serban, and all,

Thank you for adding in your thoughts for the group, it's brought up a couple of discussion points amongst the organisers which we are still sorting out.

To clarify:

All members can propose (suggest) events but only organisers can actually vet and host them. Only organisers can postpone or cancel events, and must give reasonable notice and communication to the members before executing their decision so everyone has a chance to contribute their thoughts. Marcia didn't happen to do that with this event, but in the future we've agreed together that this is a good approach. Please remember that while I pay to keep the site live and active, members join for free and the organisers donate their time for free, and none of us are paid. So while we try to make the site work well, it's not a formal organisation and stuff will happen occasionally. So we thank you for your understanding.

With regards to responsibilty in the case of an accident, we have added a question regarding liability for new members when they sign up to the group. A standard clause will be also added to each new event that members agree to before signing on. It's a bit boring but necessary as the group grows. We will keep events to public areas where risk is low for nasty incidents. I agree with you that it should be limited to the individual, but actually Photography in Berlin organisers need to protect themselves a bit more formally as the terms of service when we all sign on to Meet Up is only a limited agreement between members and Meet Up, it does not include organisers.

Group size issues are only just beginning now the group has grown, it will become more evident in summer. Size limits does seem to work, and keeping rsvp's up to date, out of consideration to people on the waiting list, the organiser and the proposed venues where applicable.

Thanks again for your thoughts, Serban, an email on these points will go out soon to all members after I get all the thoughts from organsiers, and I will look forward to meeting you this summer :)

Cheers :)
Beth

Hi Marcia

Thanks for your comments and clarifications
Your text raises interesting points on what one means by "official" meet-ups, who takes responsibility if something goes wrong, and what restrictions should be imposed if the group becomes too big.
My take on this is that:

- Meet-up groups should be meant to be autonomously and collectively run, so that decisions are endogenously made (within the group through its member interactions) and not "officially" by one particular organiser. People that do set up the groups should simply act as coordinators, facilitators and moderators (especially for comments being posted). Anyone from the group should be able to propose and organise a meet-up event, though its content and relevance needs to be moderated by those who have set-up a group. In other words, there should be a differentiation between members who have founded the meet-up and simply act as facilitators and moderators, and the rest of the members, but any member can be an organiser of events and no member should be able to cancel an agreed meet-up on behalf of the rest of the members.

- As to the responsibility issue: each member should take care of herself/himself, and each is responsible for her/his own person and actions. No organiser should be responsible for the welfare of all members or for the actions of other members. I would have thought that this is quite clear in self-organised groups such as these established through the internet and social networking.

- Size of the group: yes, you are definitely right, a big group poses many challenges when organising events, and for many events such as for those visiting abandoned places, it is best to have fewer people, I would say a maximum of 6-7 people. For example, it is swifter and easier to access a site for which the rules are not clear, and for which one needs to be discreet... But when there are many people expressing an interest in a particular event, one can easily and randomly split the group in many subgroups that go at different times.

Well, these are just some thoughts that crossed my mind for what they are worth, and I have to say that I did not look into the rules and terms of conditions for these meet-ups.

Cheers
Serban