The Pittsburgh Garden Experiment! Message Board The Pittsburgh Garden Experiment! Discussion Forum › Easy, Pretty rare gem: The Sunchoke

Easy, Pretty rare gem: The Sunchoke

tomji
tomji
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 8
My favorite plant to put up against a fence. In California grew these for years, they propagate like wildfire Yet the more the merrier You can find the sunchoke tubers at some grocery stores If you bury them in a bit of soil, or even place in garden with straw on top in a week you'll see some shoots Kinda like potatoesf

The sunchokes form tubers close to the surface They are very tolerant of conditions, actually saw some growing in the desert area.

Best reasons to try: They grow 8-10 feet tall with branching yellow sunflowers.
Perfect for growing beans, squash, cucumbers up stalk.
Unlike regular sunflowers these produce yummy tubers: taste like cross between yicama and artichoke (at least to me) Bake them, eat raw... Recommended for diabetics.

So want a pretty plant, a tall plant, some great underground grown tubers

This is it: google Sunchoke or Jerusalem Artichoke..

Peace
Tomji
Member Tustin St Garden
Doug
user 81047792
Mount Pleasant, PA
Post #: 47
I just ordered some of these to plant in my garden this spring. I have read about them, and talked about them with people but I have never tasted one. If you only had one vegetable to plant I have heard this is the one to go with, it produces the most per square foot of any plant, even more than zucchini. The only draw back that I have heard of is that it gives you gas.
Jim M.
user 9541983
Pittsburgh, PA
Post #: 6
Sunchokes can give gas, but taste good and are good for you (probably especially raw, I'm guessing). I got some wild from Panther Hollow once. Come get some from Everyone's Garden at the corner of W. Elizabeth and Lytle Streets in Hazelwood (15207). Just grab a few if I'm not there or call me at 412/421-6496.