A former member
Post #: 104
How often do you tear things down and grease bearings?
A former member
Post #: 767
Not often enough shock.
John B.
JohnB38
Westbrook, ME
Post #: 1,723
Do what? biggrin
Scott
user 5414356
Brunswick, ME
Post #: 244
Grease?? My bike is lubricated by rain, sand and road salt.
john b.
AsshatOrganizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 177
You non-wrenching commuter folks keep the bike shops in the green. That is, if any of your bikes take the cost effective 45 minutes to completely overhaul, which I expect they do not. I expect they're more like the bikes that hog a repair stand all day and cause many headaches. "Oh, and I'm gonna need that by this afternoon..." Hehe, I kid. At least you guys USE your bikes, unlike so many, many other patrons.
john b.
AsshatOrganizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 178
Don, I "breakdown", flush, regrease and repack things like loose-ball hubs and loose-ball bottom brackets/ headsets after the snow tires come off. I adjust or further grease as needed throughout the year. I use cartridge type bottom brackets and headsets on a number of my bikes, though. If those need servicing I just pop in a new one. Loose-ball is appealing in an at-home-mechanic or "vintage" sort of way (espcially an NJS stamped Dura Ace bottom bracket from the early nineties, probably worth about $150 now...), but, the plain truth is they need constant attention, especially for all-weather punishment. They're often loose or too tight, sometimes it's difficult to keep that sweet spot. When it's slightly too loose water can reak havoc on your bearings, races and cups (you can also brake an axle or deform the hubshell). When it's slightly too tight you'll go noticably slower and grind the snot out of your bearings, races and cups.
Lincoln P.
user 12657385
Portland, ME
Post #: 23
Words in John's post the meaning of which I do not know:

loose-ball hubs
loose-ball bottom brackets
headsets
cartridge-type bottom brackets
races
cups
hubshell

Moved by an earlier post about the problems associated with leaving the bike outside in the snow, this morning I did bring mine inside (from the garage), waited for the ice to melt, wiped it down, brushed out the gears, and oiled the chain and gears.

I used to feel inept because I can't strip down my bike and rebuild it blindfolded, but I've gotten over it. Now I feel inept because Paul Farmer (Partners In Health) has done more in the past thirty years than I could achieve in as many lifetimes. Hopefully I'll get over that soon, too.
john b.
AsshatOrganizer
Portland, ME
Post #: 181
Loose-ball hubs.
Loose-ball bottom bracket pictured at top, enclosed bottom brackets (square taper and isis) at center and external cartridge-type bottom bracket at bottom.
Loose-ball headset.
Cartridge type headset.
Cup. A "race" is another name for a cup but specifically refers to the smooth, uniformly worn track that the bearings create by traveling around the cup.
Hubshell.
And, because I'm sure if you didn't understand the above you'll probably be curious to know what "NJS stamped" means... "the Nihon Jitensha Shinkōkai (Japanese Bicycle Association or NJS) - now under the JKA Foundation - requires that all keirin (track/ velodrome) racers in Japan ride and use equipment that meets their standards. All riders use very similar bicycles, so that no rider will have any advantage or disadvantage based on equipment." NJS stamped ANYTHING is money. If not for the superior craftsmanship than because of it's immense geek appeal.
Hey, you guys do programming. I do bikes... and beer... and "The Simpsons"...
A former member
Post #: 768
I have a hard time programming my lawn's irrigation system. I am no programmer.

Very nice explanation John. I know many of you are friends/customers, but here's a plug for Port City Bike's in Bayside. If you want to get to know more about your bikes, and how they work, PCB is the bike shop for you.

I was a friend of PCB (and many of you) on Facebook, but I dumped my account. The only thing to be cautious about visiting PCB in the winter, is to bring layers of clothes. Heating is expensive, and PCB is a low overhead operation biggrin.
Troy M.
user 7180168
Portland, ME
Post #: 15
I definitely second the endorsement of Port City Bikes and have chosen them for my bike servicing needs. I've been happy with their prices and with the quality of their work. They have the added advantage of being 1/2 a block from my office.