Portland Maine Bicycle Commuting Message Board General Discussion › How safe is cycling?

How safe is cycling?

John B.
JohnB38
Westbrook, ME
Post #: 1,991
Here's a blog essay by Steve Magas, "Ohio Bike Lawyer":
HOW “RISKY” IS RIDING A BIKE IN OHIO? Not very…

Although he's analyzing Ohio, the points he makes are generally applicable, and he also links to a 2010 national survey by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, which shows Maine as being safer than 80% of the other states. That year, we had 1 fatality, placing us 43rd in bicycling fatalities as percent of total traffic fatalities (161, 0.6%), and 44th in fatalities per million population (0.75).
Brian E.
user 13760096
Raymond, ME
Post #: 191
Good article. It makes me feel good about my recent purchase of a NiteRider SOLAS tail light. It's a great insurance policy against the dark. It is USB rechargeable and very bright compared to previous lights (Blinky 5 & Blinky 7) I've been using.
Scott
user 5414356
Brunswick, ME
Post #: 409
One thing that the article reminded me of is that a cyclist can be "legally lit" -- his lights satisfy the law -- without being adequately lit for safety.

Maine law only requires nighttime cyclists to use a headlight that is visible for 200 feet. Pedal reflectors and a rear reflector are required, but not a rear light. In my opinion, riding at night with only a weak headlight and a few reflectors is inviting disaster.