Portland Maine Bicycle Commuting Message Board General Discussion › How far is your commute one way?

How far is your commute one way?

A former member
Post #: 14
Mine is about 3.6 miles. I'm moving shortly though so it will add another roughly .2 miles or so... Plus during the winter I won't be able to cut through the Sable Oaks Golf Course, so that will likely add another .2 or so.

So my soon to be total commute will be 4.0 miles...
John B.
JohnB38
Westbrook, ME
Post #: 1,600
Slightly over 5 here. Even though we live nearby, I go all the way to John Roberts Road, near Home Depot. And yes, the Sable Oaks Drive cut through is unplowed between the gate and Spring Street (I think it's called Cummings Road at that point, it probably changes at the town line), so it is unusable in the winter. I'm not looking forward to that bad pavement between there and Running Hill Road in the winter, and I sure hope they repave that next summer!

Check out the pics I took last winter of my tracks on the car-less portion of Sable Oaks Drive after a light snow -- bike tire snow art!

A former member
Post #: 15
So you cut through the Sable Oaks course as well?
Geary
Geary
South Portland, ME
Post #: 11
5.5 miles here. I cross route one onto Maple Drive, take that until the end and then right onto Gorham road. I take that until a right onto the beginning of Spring street. Spring street to Payne...luckily only about 60 yards on Payne before making a left on Cummings/Springs street. I take that until I make a left at Eisenhower drive at the entrance of the 5-star park and I am there.

I haven't done it in winter yet. I think my biggest concern is the section on Gorham road after a snowfall. There's minimal shoulders so I would be forced to take the lane and with a single lane road where traffic is usually moving a quick pace, that might be a problem. The only alternative route I can think of is to take route one into SoPo and then route 9 out pass the Mall. Then Running Hill road to Cummings/Spring.

A former member
Post #: 16
I have seen you a couple times Geary, it's always your ride home and you're usually climbing up Running Hill right next to that Honda Dealership. That bridge would make me nervous if I had to cross it.
John B.
JohnB38
Westbrook, ME
Post #: 1,601
So you cut through the Sable Oaks course as well?
Sometimes, when I feel like it. I get tired of the same route all the time, so sometimes I take Sable Oaks, but sometimes I don't but throw in other variations. Occasionally I turn right onto Gannett Drive and follow it around the loop until it comes out to Cummings again by Anthem. Of course it's a bit longer, but sometimes I feel like lengthening the route a bit, or doing something different, or taking a short break from the heavy traffic and bad pavement on that part of Cummings. It's also useful for getting into the uphill left turn lane for Running Hill Road, because you can just sit at the end of Gannett to wait for a break in traffic. But then sometimes I don't take Running Hill at all, I just continue on Cummings Road past it, past the Target entrance, and over the Interstate bridge down to Payne Road, where I turn left and head back towards the mall. On Payne Road I can practice lane control and navigating the complicated intersections, although the traffic's not very heavy from that direction in the morning so it's not as challenging as it is later in the day.
John B.
JohnB38
Westbrook, ME
Post #: 1,602
Regarding winter roads, if the shoulder is impassible, the travel lane is usually fine unless it's snowing at the time. And if that's the case, traffic usually is moving a little slower, and in most cases if you are visible (lights, bright clothing, more in the lane), you are easily seen with enough time for them to move over to pass. Sometimes in heavy snow on a two-lane road with heavy traffic, the tire track is the only clear place to ride, and I do hold up traffic, but I also will pull over from time to time to let the traffic pass. As with car driving, do everything more slowly, and the most dangerous day is the first day when everyone has forgotten how to drive in it (including sometimes me).

Terry, the bridge by the Honda dealership is on my everyday route. I've been controlling the right lane there for the last couple of years, and it generally works fine. I do get an occasional beep, but even they are usually doing so from the safety of the next lane. They're just mad I made them move over, but too bad. We have a legal right to control a narrow lane; I've decided I'm not going to let it be my problem that they don't know that. I have no problem doing so on a multi-lane road where it's very convenient for them to change lanes to pass. For years before I started doing this, I got a lot more close passes when I tried to stay close to the white lane.

Nowadays, I pretty much always control the lane when I'm on a multi-lane road, such as those around the mall. I usually don't have any problem with motorists, and even more rarely is the problem a real safety issue, as opposed to just someone just letting me know, while passing me safely, that they don't think I should be there. I still find it psychologically harder, and not always as necessary, to completely control the lane on a 2-lane (one each way) road. I find the lane position decision a lot more subtle there.
Bob B.
user 8090523
Scarborough, ME
Post #: 30
My non-winter commute is 10.25 mi each way from Scarborough to Portland. I come down Black Point Rd to Highland Ave, then take Highland to Wainwright Farms, where I jump on the South Portland Greenbelt to the Casco Bay Bridge. In the winter when the Greenbelt is snow-covered, I stay on Highland until Anthoine, and pop out by the SP Police/Fire Station. That way is actually a little shorter, about 9.5 miles one way.
Lincoln P.
user 12657385
Portland, ME
Post #: 12
I commute from the Eastern Promenade to either Congress and Chestnut (across from City Hall) or the Osher Map Library (in the Glickman) at USM. Depending on conditions -- whether I am running late -- I can do a 1-mile straight shot down Congress, a bit longer via Cutter Street, the waterfront to Commercial and Union/Temple, somewhat longer still via Cutter, the new bike path through the Franklin/Marginal/Morgue intersection and up Chestnut, or down Cutter and around Back Cove via the Tukey's Bridge bike path. The last is exactly 5 miles to Chestnut and Congress, and about 4 to the USM library. I have one bike for all seasons, a 1997 Trek Track 720. My concession to winter is a set of Nokian Hakkapeliitta W106 studded snow tires, which are great in snow and black ice.
Scott
user 5414356
Brunswick, ME
Post #: 218
Starting a new job tomorrow -- 7.4 miles each way. Gotta love those Freeport hills...