addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Portland Hiking Meetup Group Message Board Odds and Ends › Navigation Class

Navigation Class

A former member
Post #: 1
I'm interested in topographical/contour map reading and picking up some other useful navigation skills. Does anyone know of any local, Portland Oregon classes that I could attend as a beginner?

My interest is primarily backpacking and snowshoeing.

Thank you,
Julia
Claudio
user 4250936
Beaverton, OR
Post #: 83
Julia,

Check the classes at REI. They do post navigation classes every now and then. Those are basic but will get you started.

Claudio
Neil
Sprinter
Portland, OR
Post #: 41
I attended REI’s Navigation Class and it did little but inform me of how much I didn’t know. IMO, much better to research/buy good tools and practice monthly. If you need motivation from time to time, just read how people die, and how they sometimes survive. It is sobering. I have a list of books I used if you’re interested.smile