The Portland Hiking Meetup Group Message Board Gear Talk › Frugal teacher looking for water filtration system...

Frugal teacher looking for water filtration system... Any ideas/or have one to sell?

A former member
Post #: 1
A newbie (as well) going to Rainier Wonderland Trail Aug. 3 - 12 and with so many options for creating potable water I'm in need of some advice. Thank you in advance.

Take care,
DeAnn
Brian
hiker43
Hillsboro, OR
Post #: 37
Hey DeAnn, if you go with the filter option ( rather than tablets) get a pre-filter to filter out the silt. The Wonderland has plenty of water sources, but you don't see the silt that will plug up your filter in a few days. I use the MSR Silt-Stopper, there's probably others as well.
If you go with iodine tabs, I'd recommend using the neutralizer too, to kill that iodine taste.
Ed H.
user 12786464
Portland, OR
Post #: 8
Cheapest (short term) option would be to go with tablets. A pack of them should get you through your trip for less than $10.

The downside of some tablets is that you have to wait a while (hours) for the water to be drinkable.

Long term, a filter will cost less, as you can use the same filter on many many trips.
Warren
user 9676491
Portland, OR
Post #: 7
I use the Aqua Mira two part liquid treatment, sometimes with a backup of some sort.

REI has an in line filter that can be used both as a filter for a hydration system and as a gravity filter. I've used something similar in the past, it was rather handy.

I'll be up in Spray Park on Rainier over the next four days, I'm planning on snow being a water source. It's supposed to be pretty snowy in the park.