addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

PDX Permaculture Message Board › Honey Bees: swarm catching/list recommendations?

Honey Bees: swarm catching/list recommendations?

asa h.
anhpdx
Portland, OR
Post #: 4
Hey y'all,
I'm new to bees and I'm looking for some recommendations; first on who to learn the ins/outs of catching a swarm from and second, what swarm lists to be on.

Thanks,
Asa
Elaine K.
user 10216665
Portland, OR
Post #: 3
Asa, I'm very interested in this also. I just took a workshop on bees from a woman named Catherine--at the southeast Portland permaculture convergence this past weekend. I don't have her contact information, but you could email planetrepair@riseup.net to find out. Elaine
Bruce
BruceBartlett
Portland, OR
Post #: 7
A bait hive can be effective in catching a swarm. Obtain an empty bee box of some kind, place a piece of honey comb (commercial comb works) or bees wax in it, then place it in a sunny second story location (ideally). This will attract bees when swarming season starts, sometime in May probably.
Teri
user 30422842
Coeur D Alene, ID
Post #: 1
I highly recommend Jacqueline Freeman for anyone wishing to learn more about beekeeping. Jacqueline was/is in the movie Queen of the Sun (she is the person you saw getting wild swarms for people). Her has an organic/bee-centered approach to beekeeping. You can learn more about her course offerings via her website:

She also maintains a swarm list for anyone wanting to obtain a wild swarm, and will give you leads to many other wonderful resources out there.