addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Portland SCI-FI Book Club Message Board › Lovecraft

Alan R.
user 13766994
Portland, OR
Post #: 4
HP Lovecraft wrote some compelling science fiction. I know of at least two examples, At the Mountains of Madness and The Colour Out of Space\.

The first tells of a group of anthropologists trekking throughout remote areas of Antarctica, where they discover new life-forms and the ruins of an ancient civilization that sprawled hundreds of square kilometers across the vast continent. Questions for discussion could include whether people think this story qualifies as science fiction. Or, what makes it science fiction?

The Colour Out of Space describes a small village where an asteroid crashed, leading to all kinds of strange activity in the region. The old, tired crashed asteroid/comet story may seem to juvenile to some, but keep in mind that Lovecraft told one of the first, if not the first, version of this tale, and none since have done it so imaginatively. His aliens are not humanoid bipeds or even quadrupeds. I cannot even say for sure if they're a life-form. The story takes as its backdrop the unknown mystery that is the infinity of space and hurls a piece of this mystery onto the ordinary earth (ordinary to us, anyway). Its pretty exciting stuff.

I don't see much discussion of the classics of sci fi on these forums. Thought I'd throw in a piece. If I were to teach a class on science fiction, these two would be on the syllabus.