addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Portland NaNo Message Board › A quick note of thanks and clarification

A quick note of thanks and clarification

A former member
Hi all,

Thanks for the quick response by a couple of you, we've covered the meetup hosting costs for this payment cycle. We've got quite a few new members as people excited about NaNoWriMo find us and sign up. I just want to explain a little bit the difference between participating in NaNoWriMo and being a member of the Portland NaNo meetup group, because they are two different things.

NaNoWriMo is free. There will never be any costs expected of you to participate in any NaNoWriMo write ins, the kickoff party, or the TGIO. NaNoWriMo events occur only between the period of late October to early December.

This meetup group was started during NaNoWriMo to provide an alternate calendaring solution with the ability for members to RSVP, but exists and is active year round. Having the meetup has helped write in hosts connect with other WriMos and gave us a better idea of the number of people who would be at the events we planned. It also provides a space to continue to write with others in public spaces throughout the year. Occasionally, the meetup group also plans workshops or special fundraising events to help offset the amount of personal funds the local organizers spend to put together the more official NaNoWriMo events. The meetup group also costs money to exist. Meetup.com charges $144 a year, if paid in two lump payments of $72 which for us fall at the end of October and at the end of April.

You all have access to view the group's financial status, and let me explain the discrepancy that may appear there. Our money page says the group has $150. That money is a combination of membership dues payments and proceeds from last year's fundraising event The Soiree of Furious Typing. That money has been promised to the NaNoWriMo organizers (of which I am one) for event planning expenses for NaNo 2012.

So, these two groups are very separate in purpose and although I am personally involved in the leadership of both, I do my best to keep the group's financially separate as well. Please let me know if you have any questions and I'm sorry for any confusion my earlier email may have caused.

Thanks for all your support!

Heather