The Portland Metro Area Organizer Meetup Message Board › WORKSHOP REQUESTS

WORKSHOP REQUESTS

Micheil
macmicheil
Vancouver, WA
Post #: 174
We are looking to increase the potential for growth and the need of our members for information. To do so, we need your input about what you need. So please let us know.
Philip M.
philmandel
Beaverton, OR
Post #: 14
Hi, I could use some help with the following:

Reducing the number of no-shows
Getting attendees to meet at the specified time and place so we can find each other
Going from totally free (I have not yet charged any of my members, either for inclusion in the group or fees at any events) to asking for a little help to cover my costs.

Thanks!
Marijka T.
user 75313482
Portland, OR
Post #: 3
Phil,

Good evening. I read your email, and wow! I am totally on board with your concerns. Help and recommendations in these areas are without a doubt essential, for me and perhaps others.
A former member
Post #: 69
Hi Everyone!

There seems to be several topics we all could use some additional help with. I've talked about creating a round-table style workshop day (part of a day?) to have maybe 4 different topics/tables, and allow limited time at each of the 4 tables. Then attendees swap tables to participate in each topic so everyone gets a chance to gain new insights on each topic.

If enough people are interested, I'll org this for you. But -- gloves off here, Kids ... DO NOT flake on this! I'm always willing to work for ya, but I'm not interested in wasting time. There will always be some unavoidable circumstances, but like last Meetup, we-3 Organizers of this group made ourselves available to help and no one showed up. None of you is any busier than we-3 ... OkieDokie, I think I made my point :-) :-) :-)
A former member
Post #: 70
And as far as the poll ... I didn't answer the day/time polls because it wasn't multiple choice.
So here is my answer:
SAT = 10a-12p, 2-4p, some evenings, too -- fairly flex, but NO more 8am slots please :-)
WEEKNIGHTS = 6:30 - 8:30, 7-9 -- Tue, Wed, Thur usually best
A former member
Post #: 104
I like the idea Sunny and you can count me in for it........
Jana Beeman (.
user 8407017
Vancouver, WA
Post #: 22
Hi Sunny,

I'm interested too if it works with my time availability. I'm thinking though that perhaps doing a more linear presentation might work better - but maybe I'm not getting a clear picture of how your round table approach would work. I'm just thinking if everything's in one room, it can get really hard to hear even at smaller tables.

Some of the things that are coming up for me is how to be able to present at other people's groups, how to co-create larger events and share with other groups... that kind of idea. I'm finding that a lot of people still buy into 'we're all in competition' and react with fear and resistance instead of seeing it as a collaborative way to add value.

Anything along those lines would be great for me!
A former member
Post #: 71
Hey Jana :-)

Yep, I understand your concerns. The "round table" is an effort to create an opportunity for larger group to share information needed in more than one category or topic. The trick is to find a space that can accommodate this kind of event because YES, noise is a problem.

But if we do this correctly, it can work VERY well. It's so difficult to get a large group together, and we keep getting lots of good suggestions for topics/learning/sharing. I just thought this format could accommodate the needs more effectively. Not that we'll handle it all, but I think of it as leveraged work.

When we have the get2gethers for this group, we often break down into conversations among a handful of people within the space we meet. I find myself trying to catch tidbits from several directions and getting only a little. Feels frustrating to me, so I thought of this approach.

When I've done this at seminars/workshops, I felt I got so much out of it ... even tho it's not so easy to organize! I'm hoping people will send us more details of ideas/topics and we can prepare a successful event. Maybe even get HQ on the phone for part of the time ... ???

And I think the more we find ways of working together, the solutions for the 'competitive' thing will come up, too. I'm so sick of that crap ... thank you SportsWorld and all your over-the-top-ON-steriods attitudes ... Ok ... no more venting ... teeheehee!

Hope this clarifies!
Jana Beeman (.
user 8407017
Vancouver, WA
Post #: 23
What about if doing smaller group events that address these issues ends up being the way to go then video them so others can learn from the video? Just a thought. As you know, I live on video :)

I'm working on new ways of networking that disable that competition energy right from the start, and so far am having some great success with it!
A former member
Post #: 17
I'd like to share ideas on how to create coherence in a large group, or even smaller affinity groups, within a larger group. It can be a real challenge not only to get people to show up, but to get a critical mass of people who are on the same wavelength to consistently show up for specific events. Not sure if there's an answer to that problem, and Meetup seems inherently casual and random, but I am open to ideas. Maybe I just need to make stronger offers and harder boundaries. I have noticed that people often don't bother reading the event details, even when rules are clearly stated, which is one source of frustration. On the other hand, there's also the notion that too much control can suppress emergence and spontaneous connections. What to do, to do the dance?

I am also interested in some of the other topics mentioned here. FYI, I have not come to any of your events. It's a timing thing. I am busy and I travel a lot so my availability to participate is limited. But if I RSVP yes, I consider that a commitment. And I show up to meetings on time.