PACNY has arranged for a tour of the historic Basilica of the Sacred Heart in Syracuse. This beautiful Catholic church on the city’s west side was built by the first Polish parish in the city, and was designed in the Gothic Revival style by the prominent Syracuse architectural partnership of Merrick & Randall. Completed in 1910, the church features beautiful stained glass windows imported from Munich, Germany, together with windows from the Keck Stained Glass Studios in Syracuse and from St. Louis, MO. The 45-minute tour will focus on the architecture and the history of the parish.
Following the tour, all are welcome to stroll next door to the 1918 Polish Home for light refreshments and a brief talk about the history of the Polish community in Syracuse, and the Polish Home’s efforts to preserve the artifacts of that community, by the Home’s President, Robert Synakowski. Please join us to see beautiful architecture and learn about an important part of Syracuse’s immigrant history.
Date: Saturday, March 9, 2013
Time: 1 p.m.
Location: 927 Park Avenue, Syracuse 13204 (at West Genesee Street, across from Harrison Bakery)
PLEASE RSVP BY MARCH 8 via our Contact page or phone (315)[masked] OR via this Meet-up page!