Primal Living STL Message Board › Gluten-free

Gluten-free

A former member
Post #: 78
As a person with Celiac, I am always interested in gluten-free foods, and don't really try to be Paleo so much. Obviously, though I take the gluten aspects VERY seriously. Without getting into a discussion of the merits of Paleo vs gluten-free, how likely is it that foods at one of the potlucks would be safe for me?

For instance, your old non-stick pans may make me sick. The surfaces of those are not smooth at a microscopic level and the pits collect food. If you don't need to be gluten-free, but are paleo and avoid gluten it really isn't an issue for you.
Laura
missusg2
Group Organizer
Saint Peters, MO
Post #: 106
The likelyhood? 99.999999999%
Being paleo=gluten free
Most paleos avoid gluten and cross-contamination and won't have it in their home
Most, if not all, participants in the potlucks are already gluten-free and cook that way at home. Also, doubt any paleo-enthusiasts cook with non-stick cookware. I for one use cast iron almost exclusively with some corningware and steel cookware in the cupboard.

These are good questions AND good reminders to participants to bring "clean" dishes to all the potlucks.
I am very gluten sensitive and have never gotten sick at a potluck.
Hope this helps

PS: I would hope that potluck attendees understand that what they bring be "clean"
A former member
Post #: 79
I have two. One that gets used for eggs, and the other is a ceramic pan that gets used VERY gently for things like delicate fish. Everything else is stainless, because it really is non-stick if you take care of it! Cast iron works the same way as non-stick with the advantage that you can clean it down to the bare metal and then reseason it.
Thanks, BTW!
Laci H.
user 14420168
Saint Louis, MO
Post #: 100
I second Laura. The Paleo folks are pretty much gluten free, and we have never had anything with gluten brought to a potluck that I am aware of. I am pretty sensitive and have never felt ill after a potluck. However, i do have pans and cookie sheets that I have had since before going Paleo. Maybe I should ditch them? Food for thought!
A former member
Post #: 80
When I went gluten-free I did just that. Everything porous was given away or tossed, and replaced with fresh new stuff. It sucked, but it was something I had to do or I wouldn't heal. Cookie sheets, non-stick (why would you use it for anything that takes much heat anyway? My egg skillet should probably go too!), wooden spoons and other utensils, chopsticks. I even threw out my bamboo steamer and wok just to be safe!
Knowing what my symptoms are, I tend not to push my luck. I probably wouldn't eat at your house. It doesn't say anything about you, how clean your kitchen is, etc., but if I get glutened I stop being a good house guest!