addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Princeton Bluegrass Jam Message Board › Future of Princeton Area Pickers

Future of Princeton Area Pickers

Andrew
user 7462055
Group Organizer
Princeton, NJ
Dear Friends -

I was sorry to miss the last meetup in December due to a family emergency, but glad to hear that the session went well.

I also regret that I was unable to schedule a meetup in January. This brings up a larger issue: Is Princeton Area Pickers sustainable? I had hoped that the group would mature into more of a self-sustaining model but, so far, that has not happened. In addition, I sense a divergence in musical interests: whereas I am most interested in traditional bluegrass, old time, and country music, others are more interested in folk while still others are interested n acoustic rock. All of which is fine but makes it hard for the group to gel.

So, I must ask all of you: Should we keep PAP going? If so, what are your suggestions for making it a better experience for all?

Thanks,

Andrew
Jenny G.
MandoJen
Princeton, NJ
Post #: 1
Hi Andrew,

I'm very glad to hear from you re PAP. I'm finally done with Tuesday nite classes and was planning to come again to the sessions.

Just my opinion: I think it's okay to have a clear parameter on what kind of music to focus on: I think your original idea of having a Bluegrass/old time/country session follows a robust tradition happening all over the world, and is wide enough to include a great variety of material, without diluting it to the point of not being able to gel. There are other jams, like the terrific Thursday nite session at mannions pub in Somerville, that includes the rock and folk.

I also think your desire to have the session in a more public place: bar or restaurant back room, would encourage an influx of more musicians and appreciators. As I've mentioned a couple months ago, I'd be happy to help or go with you to look for a bar venue.

I'm very interested hear what others think!  Jenny Glenn: mando, guitar, singer

Sent from my iPad

On Feb 4, 2012, at 8:04 AM, Andrew <andrew.eristoff@verizon.net> wrote:

Dear Friends O Box 4668 #37895 New York, New York 10163-4668 | support@meetup.com
Jack M.
user 14430844
Lawrence Township, NJ
Post #: 2
I certainly hope we can continue; I can't tell you how exciting it's been for me to play with other folks after decades of just noodling in my living room.

The chance to play bluegrass and old timey stuff was the reason I joined, as it pushed me to extend myself in an area that I never before had explored, namely playing lead solos. Bluegrass and old timey especially became important to me when I blew out my voice and so became pretty much limited to just playing--more modern music doesn't seem to offer as much opportunity for playing solos.

However, I would never want to tell someone what they can and can't choose as the song they want to play when it's their turn to call the tune.

Somerville was too far for me to get to; if it's possible, I sure hope we can stay close to Princeton.

I also am looking forward to singing Dim Lights Thick Smoke with Jenny again soon.
Jack G.
user 7709141
Kendall Park, NJ
Post #: 2
I hope that PAP continues. The idea of posting lyrics/chords for downloading works well, and allows everyone to participate. If I don't care for a particular song, I just wait for the next one. Also, there's always going to be various skill levels, but what I think makes a group like this works is that all skill levels are welcomed, and no one need feel intimidated or uncomfortable.

The barometer of success is ultimately the number of people who show up - and new people who return a second and third time. If people keep coming, the group should continue. I'll try to make as many as I can. - Jack Gifford
A former member
Post #: 4
Hi Andrew,

As a relative "newcomer", I say-

-Nothing wrong IMO with having a focus as you suggest, setting a course, having a charter, etc.
-Sustainable? I hope so, for you and in a way that is what you and likeminded folks envision.
-I've enjoyed it the sessions I've attended, thanks is a bit of an understatement.
-My own dreams are closer to home so I can't commit to future meetups.

Best wishes,
Steve
Robin H.
user 9806030
Princeton, NJ
Post #: 4
Andrew

I think a more defined focus is a good idea. I am glad you started this initiative.

Regards,

Robin