addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Quantified Self Los Angeles Message Board › The challenge of too many and fragmented wireless standards on mobile device

The challenge of too many and fragmented wireless standards on mobile devices and QS

Dave P.
user 11931348
South Pasadena, CA
Post #: 1
To one of our many great discussions on Saturday. Here is a new phone that is coming out which has some cool possible features but missing some others....

My summary: It has a cool new tech called Wi-Fi direct that will make connecting to multiple wifi based systems in your house MUCH easier [plus]; it has Bluetooth 3.0 is CRAP for QS, Bluetooth 4.0 is going to rule for QS body devices [minus]; optional NFC BS that that this has not yet caught on yet and ONLY 'optional' this will may make inputing caloric info very easy [plus and minus]; two cameras one with auto focus, QR codes and other bar codes are great for QS stuff again caloric input but be careful of the phones ability to focus on barcode. try it out before you buy, some phones camera focus algorithms suck for acquiring barcode, Google Googles is a good test; Operating system, sucks.... Android is probably the best today for QS stuff, iOS second. There are never going to be Bada QS apps that can take advantage of the hardware in the mobile device; No Ant+ support, only a subset of the phones from Sony and HTC include the wireless chipset that includes ANT+ and right now I'm thinking that Ant+ is on the way out, tough transition as their are some pretty cool ANT+ devices, but the BT 4.0 devices are still 12 months away and of course this phone does not support BT 4.0 [minus]..... so mobile devices are a pain right now for QS.... I've done some research and coding in these areas, shout if you want some input on mobile devices for QS.

# 3.65-inch HVGA LCD touchscreen display delivering 320 by 480 pixels of resolution.
# Bada 2.0 platform.
# 832MHz single-core processor.
# Wrapped up with tempered glass and a metallic body.
# 5 Megapixels auto-focus camera backed up by a LED flash; A front-facing shooter for video chats.
# HSDPA 7.2Mbps speeds.
# 150MB internal memory, 2GB card included, microSD card slot with up to 32GB.
# DivX playback out of the box.
# Optional NFC, Bluetooth 3.0, Wi-Fi b/g/n with Wi-Fi Direct, 1,350mAh battery.
# A-GPS, ChatON pre-loaded, Accelerometer, Proximity Sensor.

Read more: http://gadgetian.com/...­
Eric B.
user 4719520
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 2
Thanks Dave, this is really great info! I'm definitely plugged into all things Wi-Fi, but admittedly am not too much in the loop with Wi-Fi Direct. How does Wi-Fi Direct power requirements compare to Ant or Ant+? My only exposure to Ant has been with the FitBit and some Garmin devices, and from what I gather lower power requirements are one of the major benefits.

Eric B.
user 4719520
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 5
BTW, I just discovered a related link somebody had posted on my blog a couple months ago:

http://www.macrumors....­