add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Cosmology, Quantum Mechanics & Consciousness Message Board › Can the Human Mind harness Quantum principles to engineer Synchronicity?

Can the Human Mind harness Quantum principles to engineer Synchronicity?

user 10455453
Lehigh Acres, FL
Post #: 10
Thanks for the information on the meet up situation Ian. I would be interested in a meet up as has been proposed. The suggestion of two presenters sound interesting, but I'm not ready to be an interviewer. I'm learning and I need to do some boning up. I'm actually pretty opened minded but I do feel it is important to not have actual misinformation being presented. I was actually going to open a new thread asking for book suggestions. Reading online is fine, but nothing can replace a good book in my hands. I tend to find books on quantum physics that are either too complex or too dumbed down. I need something a bit more in the middle. At any rate, any book suggestions would be appreciated!
A former member
Post #: 47
Dear All

Well I'm happy enough to be the interviewer; now all we need is someone who knows what they are talking about.
lan B.
user 10895495
London, GB
Post #: 248

>Well I'm happy enough to be the interviewer; now all we need is someone who knows what they are talking about.

lan B.
user 10895495
London, GB
Post #: 249

Hi Trisha .. and other interested parties (??)

Don'tknow how good your maths is,but try reading the inexpensive and I think still-in-print The Meaning of Quantum Theory -- which I've recommended several times before here throughout various threads -- by ex-petrochemical engineer Jim Baggott. It's interesting because he originates from "outside the professional quantum community" and takes on the puzzled concern and feeling of helplessness of the science-friendly, educated-and-open layperson who feels shocked -- in Feynman's infamous woords: "Anyone who is not shocked by quantum mechanics has not understood it" -- that the global scientific view of reality isn't as cosily tidy as one's Degree elsewhere in some other scientific subject might have led one to suppose. The realisation dawns that everything one has thought and been taught across chemistry, physics, astronomy, and so on can be construed under a viewpoint which is actually quite parochial in comparison to the attempts which one realises that one will have to make in trying to sort out the interpretative mess. (After all, if the experts still lack consensus, then what chance the keen but hapless amateur?) One begins to appreciate that this small corner of consistent thinking and the immense welter of associated facts all belong to one compartment -- that of sso-called "classical" thinking, and perhaps the scary thing is that at this point one's classically trained physical intuition deserts at the eleventh hour,and one is left with mathematical abstraction alone as a guide through the Puter darkness.

(Alright,so I'm a lousy prose poet; I freely 'fess up.)

Baggott communicates this sense of expostulatory -- indeed, almost outraged, as he makesd clear in the Intro -- bafflement very well, and then proceeds to put together the history of the relevant ideas all the way from Planck's black body radiation curve paper published in 1900 all the way upthe present day (but not including decoherence at least between the covers of my edition, but maybe things have changed. The mathematical recapitulation -- particularly the putative steps taken by Schrödinger in formulating his famous equation -- is conscientious and bridges the gap between A-level maths (and accessible even at O-level grade with some effort, although I don't know how the grade structure compares between the UK and the US) and that needed for first-year physics, but of course lacking actual exercises.

I heartily recommend it!

Best wishes