addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

REVOLUTION CYCLES Meetup Group Message Board › Rides - routes - and cyclists that know the route

Rides - routes - and cyclists that know the route

Jim A.
Jim2017
Cape Girardeau, MO
Post #: 118
One of aspects of cycling that challenges all road bicyclists is finding good, safe routes that can be used by all levels of cyclists.

In the St Louis County area, many roads that may look similar offer dangerously different levels of traffic.

Cyclists, in the know, have developed routes that they cycle on repeatedly - which in turn creates more safety for all concerned.

Motorists encountering entry-level cyclists on roads that are seldom used for cycling increase the risks of confrontations and accidents.

I wonder what the best routes and roads are for Franklin County and areas west or south. Thirty years ago, KK, 185 and even route 100 were used for cycling. Now I suspect not so much.

On the other hand, I'm aware that many roads, which were previously gravel, have been paved. I wonder if any thought has been given to working with county or city officials to establishing known cycling routes that would steer cyclists away from dangerous roads.

I'd like to hear about some of the country connector roads that run between state routes in between Washington and Hermann. In the 1990s, I'd drive to Bourbon and ride to Hermann and back. I could start in Washington, but I'm suspicious or riding KK or 185 to get to Lyons are beyond.

But the bigger deal is: Can Washington/Franklin County develop bike routes that satisfy roadies without pissing off motorists? Or will Franklin County eventually resemble Saint Charles with respect cycling/motorist relations?

(end of mindless ranting - begin thoughtful discussion below)