add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo
Kristopher N.
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 2
New to the board, but I realize this is an extreme long shot.

I have a chicken with bumblefoot. I took her to Avian and Exotic Animal Care today (­) and was told to administer the following treatment plan for the next 2 1/2 weeks:

• Twice daily, give her an antibiotic pill
  • Every 2 or 3 days, soak her foot in epsom salts and re-wrap her foot.

The problem is that my wife and I are going out of town in about a week. We're not quite sure what to do. We basically have three options:

• Board her at Avian and Exotic. At $30 a day, this will get quite expensive for 2 weeks' travel.
  • Hope she gets better without treatment
  • Pray that someone on this board has an idea that will allow her to get treatment for less than $30 per day

Is anyone out there looking to get practice on chicken care? Anyone know of places that will board and medicate chickens for less than $30 per day?

I know it's a long shot, but I figure it can't hurt to ask.

A former member
Post #: 12
Bumble foot can be fatal if not dealt with. If you you tube bumble foot, there are videos out there to aid in you doing the surgery yourself and how to wrap the foot after. I did it. But make sure you have someone that can handle helping you. If your chicken is not calm, cover its head. Once you start, you can't stop! Soak foot in Epsom salt 10 min & then in beta dine warm water to soften & disinfect foot before starting & sterilize all your instruments in alcohol. Watch the videos a few times before starting! Good luck! Btw the antibiotics will help too. But not sure they will be good enough by itself. If you boarded this chicken, what would they do for it? If you chose to do nothing with the vet then why board it? Might keep it from getting picked on but that's it. Good luck!
Group Organizer
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 110
I got a friend who dropped out of nursing school to operate on one of mine. We didn't cut out all of it, although she never limped again like she did before we operated. I'm not sure I'd be able to do the operation again.

jill s.
Apex, NC
Post #: 44
Which Doc saw ur chicken? I have a chicken, we thought had bumble foot, which is just a swollen foot. It turns out that my chicken had squamous cell carcinoma. Very long story. Doctor Dan never suggested operating on her foot when we thought it was just bumble foot. But is draining it does the trick, why not have the doc do it before you go on ur trip? They also have names of pet sitters that they can give you, if that's the direction you want to go. I did soak mine in Epsom salts but I never wrapped it. Why did they tell u wrap it?
Emory B.
user 65767682
Bladenboro, NC
Post #: 14
Hi kris,
i am an hour and a half away from you.If you would like for me to take care of your chicken why you are on vacation i will.Just tell me what you would be willing to pay a day for her to be kept.You will need to send her feed along with her.i could meet you half way.Probably around exit 49 on I-95.Call me and we can talk cell:910 874 6195
Stefanie S.
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 138
I have experience treating bumblefoot and I'd be willing to care for your hen. I can come by your place twice a day if you're not too far away, otherwise you can bring her here and she can hang out in a large rabbit cage in my house. I live off of Millbrook Rd near Six Forks. Send me an email at if you want to set something up.

Kristopher N.
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 3
Oh my gosh, you all are amazing!

Jill and Linda, Dr. Stacey Leonatti saw my chicken. Apparently the scab is currently too thick and some of the gunk inside the foot is too hard to do the surgery right now. That's why she recommended the daily antibiotics (so she doesn't die in the meantime) and the foot-soaking (to soften up the scab). Additionally, the wrapping of the foot will keep pressure off, so that should help, too. After my wife and I get back from vacation, we'll bring her back in to get the gunk cleaned out. My wife and I are still pretty new the whole chicken thing, so I'd prefer to watch and learn from a pro before doing it on my own. Hopefully after this one, I'll never have to put that knowledge to use!

Emory and Stefanie, thank you so much for the offer. I got another offer of assistance through direct message. If that falls through, I'll follow-back up with you guys. Thank you so much!

Again, you all are great. Thank you!!!

jill s.
Apex, NC
Post #: 45
I saw Stacey first with another one of my chickens and she mis-diagnosed Marek's. I went back and saw Dr. Dan, he is great. I would suggest taking her back in and seeing Dr. Dan, if you can. When I took Marie in with a big scab, its was pretty gross, but he cut out all the junk(hard yellow chessy) looking stuff out, then I soaked it. Call me if you want, easier to explain 919.387.0902