The Raleigh Rock Climbing Meetup Message Board › Link for anyone trying to move from gym climbing to lead climbing

Link for anyone trying to move from gym climbing to lead climbing

DaveW
user 9704228
Cary, NC
Post #: 1

Hey Folks,

Here's a link to an article for anyone interested in starting to lead:

Not trying to scare anyone off but if you are trying to learn to trad climb please get professional education on real rock. It's really important, because the most dangerous time for a climber (and their partner) is the first year out leading trad routes. Even after that there is risk for all of us - this climber was on a Seneca 5.10a so he was no beginner.

Dave
Tushar
user 3485235
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 60
Dawe

You forgot to post the link Guess you were talking about this incident

http://www.rockclimbi...­

I hope most climbers in this group agree with you. My Advice: Take a class on trad lead and rescue before you decide to try trad leading. Ask your instructor a lot of questions about the way he/she is placing gear. When you do decide to go out on your first lead; do so with a seasoned climber who has lead that specific route before.

My two cents

Tushar
Hua-Ying
Hua-Ying
Group Organizer
Raleigh, NC
Post #: 189
I thought about buying a 9mm rope because my 10.5 is pretty heavy on a long hike but after reading this I think I'll stick with my thick rope!