Recovering from Religion - Phoenix Message Board › Advice from the now-defunct support group Fundamentalists Anonymous

Advice from the now-defunct support group Fundamentalists Anonymous

Bob
user 2326427
Phoenix, AZ
Post #: 229
Interesting Q & A from an old Fundamentalists Anonymous newsletter circa 1985:

Q. I've just been out of fundamentalism for a few months. I've been bombarded with calls and letters from my "friends" in the church. How should I respond?

A. Stay totally away from fundamentalists for at least one year. You know they will pressure you each time you talk to them. When they say "God loves you and we are all praying for you," they are putting enormous psychological pressure on you. They will try to make you feel guilty and "convicted." If you don't want your guilt and pain to be increased, stay away from fundamentalist "friends," churches, literature, and TV programs like Jimmy Swaggart (remember the tears he shed on national TV as he confessed to his infidelities?) and Jerry Falwell (remember when he went down a waterslide at a biblical theme park dressed in a 3-piece suit?). Avoid them like the plague. You deserve time to think things out and to make your decisions without undue pressure. Otherwise, you might drift in and out of fundamentalism for many years.

Where are Jimmy Swaggart and Jerry Falwell today? When it comes to televangelists, it seems that the faces change, but the lines all stay the same.