Refresh Chicago Message Board › Keeping up with the latest in web tech

Keeping up with the latest in web tech

A former member
Post #: 1
Hi there,

I was doing some brainstorming about what topics I'd love to see covered at future meetups, and only one thing kept bouncing around inside my head, though it would probably only make for a 5-minute presentation and is probably better suited for posting here to get some discussion going. In short, I'm curious what others do to make sure they keep up with the latest web technologies and stay on top of their game, since there's such a variety of tools out there for designing, developing, and coding web sites that you can't possibly be familiar with them all. Do you take occasional classes or maybe online tutorials to learn new skills? Do you have several favorite technology-focused news sites that you peruse? Do you ever take a step back and note that you're working with outdated tools and might need to change your working environment so that you're not left in everyone's dust?

It's something that's been bothering me as of late, since I don't want to find that I was chasing the wrong technology and end up unmarketable in 3-5 years. I'm curious what others think.

Thanks!
Derek
Steve S.
Steve_Starr
Chicago, IL
Post #: 34
You raise an issue that's pertinent to everyone... especially with the proliferation of content management systems and the people who design templates for them. In my experience, it's good to be clear that no one person can be all things to all people, so zeroing in on what I want to do is something I try to keep my eye on. Secondly, I watch for work I like and then find out how that person is working. I suppose that's a networking function... whether it's showing up and asking questions or looking at other people's work. Thirdly, I try to take cues from my clients in terms of what they really need. We're in the position of leading clients forward to new technology and informing them of what's available. This is a hard job when technology is a moving target, but I try to get in their shoes when I'm thinking about creating something for them. In short, plowing the plot of land in front of you is best and bringing an inquisitive mind to your work may be the best thing to keep you fresh.

Steve